Welcome to 2021, where, in a multitude of ways, we are uniquely able to capture almost any moment, no matter how serious. The preferred configuration is the opportunity to relive a video memory. And on your tandem skydive, your GoPro, or any action camera you have just that thing to take along to experience freefall. Everywhere else it tags: as you shred snow on the hills, battle your surfboard’s roaring waves, or paddle your way through pretty wicked gullies. These are your adventure pal, essentially, and the journal of your adventurous adventures. These best action cameras are so incredible that most of the content creators and skydivers usually use them to vlog their experiences and shoot some of the most interesting content. We’re having it. We do, truly. But you’re going to have to let a competent aerial videographer sit with the directors when it comes to having epic footage of your tandem skydive. This one is going to have to hang out of your GoPro, and before you start pouting, hear us out on why.
Here are some of the best and latest GoPros and Action cameras for Skydiving in 2021:
1. GoPro Hero 9 Black – Latest From GoPro
Weight: 158g | Waterproof: 10m | 5K video: up to 30fps | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 20MP | Battery life: 1-3hrs estimate
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when zooming in
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto: Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto, HERO9 Black can automatically pick all the best image processing for you
- Front Display + Rear Touch Screen: A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black and a dazzling new front display makes for easy framing and intuitive camera control
- Live Streaming + Webcam: Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast
- HyperSmooth 3.0: Experience the ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever
- TimeWarp 3.0: Record mesmerizes time lapse scenes as you move on the road, on foot or anywhere else
- Rugged + Waterproof: Shoot in the gnarliest conditions imaginable. HERO9 Black can take it. It’s tough as nails, and waterproof down to 33 feet right out of the box
With vloggers in mind, the latest GoPro Hero9 Black specs have been designed. A new 23.6-megapixel sensor and a full colour front LCD are featured on the action camera. It marks one of the major redesigns in recent years of the iconic action camera.
The 1.4-inch color monitor on the front of the body of the camera is definitely a reaction to DJI’s Osmo Action, which when it launched last year added the useful feature. The body is 10 percent larger overall than the GoPro Hero8 Black, which is because it houses a new 1,720mAh battery. GoPro says it has 30 percent more battery life than its predecessor with this new battery.
The GoPro Hero9 Black specs sheet includes video capability of 5K footage at up to 30p, along with 20MP stills, with its new sensor. The reversible lens cover has also been reintroduced by GoPro, and the Hero9 Black also supports the new Max Lens Mod, which offers a super-wide 155-degree field of view.
2. Sony RX0 II
Weight: 110g | Waterproof: 10m | 4K video: 30p | 1080: up to 1000fps | 720: up to 1000fps | Stills resolution: 15.3MP | Battery life: 60 mins
- 1” (1.0-Type) stacked back-illuminated Exmore RS CMOS sensor
- 24mm F4 Zeiss tessar T* lens delivers high-resolution images. Battery life (STILL IMAGES)(CIPA) - Approx. 240shots / Approx. 120 min. Battery life (MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA) - pprox. 35minch. Battery life (MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA) - Approx. 60min
- Internal 4K movie with Pro features and image stabilization; Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens): Approx. 50 cm
- Matchbox sized durable Duralumin, water/shock/crush proof body
- 15.3MP raw up to 16Fps continuous and interval REC. For time-lapse
- In the box: rechargeable battery pack np-bj1, AC adaptor, micro USB cable, wrist strap, memory card protector, instruction manual. Display zoom: 7.9. Wide-angle
The updated Mark II RX0 mainly adds full pixel readout internal 4K video recording and no pixel binning, in-body electronic stabilization when shooting video, an LCD screen that can now be tilted up to 180 degrees up to and down to 90 degrees, improved human skin color reproduction, a closer focusing distance of 20 cm, and enhanced Eye AF mode.
Otherwise, the RX0 II retains the same core characteristics as its predecessor, namely a massive 1-inch sensor that is about 4x the size of those in other action cameras, promising much better image quality, 15.3 megapixels, fixed 24mm f/4 lens, 1.5-inch LCD screen, ISO125-12800 (extendable to ISO 80), 1/32000th sec top shutter speed, 3.5fps continuous shooting, and 240 shot battery life.
3. GoPro Hero8 Black
Weight: 126g | Waterproof: 10m | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 12MP | Battery life: 1-3hrs estimate
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization – On, High and Boost. Get the widest views, or boost to the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Works with all resolutions and frame rates, and features in-app horizon leveling
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap mounts quickly. A new side door makes changing batteries even faster, and the lens is now 2x more impact-resistant compared to previous models
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined with our HERO8 Black mods (sold separately). Media Mod gives you shotgun-mic performance and lets you attach Light Mod and Display Mod to up your capture game
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social media, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- TimeWarp 2.0: Capture super-stabilized time lapse videos while moving through an activity. Automatically adjust speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Slow the effect to real time – savoring special moments – and then tap to speed it back up
- LiveBurst: Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect photo – or an amazing, shareable video
- SuperPhoto + HDR: Capture killer 12-MP photos with improved HDR – while in motion or stationary – with reduced blur and serious detail, even in low-light areas
- Video Capture Resolution: 4K UHD 2160p
Is GoPro Hero 8 Black the market’s best action camera? We will go over all of the latest features on Gopro Hero 8 Black in this review and we will equate the GoPro HERO 7 Black and the DJI OSMO Action along the way.
In photography, action cameras have always been a rare presence. It’s mini, lightweight, and tucked beneath this tiny body are so many strong capabilities. Action cameras have drawn a handful of vloggers to record crews with their durability.
With a GP1 image processor, this Hero 8 Black retains the same 12-megapixel sensor but features a lot of improvements over its predecessor.
4. DJI Osmo Action
Weight: 134g | Waterproof: 11m | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 12MP | Battery life: 1-2.25hrs (est)
- Dual Screens: Osmo Action’s dual screens allow you to capture it all with the touch of a button. A vivid front screen lets you frame yourself effortlessly in any setting, while the back screen delivers a crystal-clear, hyper-responsive display. This durable, versatile action camera is jam-packed with advanced technology that lets you spend less time worrying about equipment and more time living the action.
- The RockSteady technology combines EIS with complex algorithms, delivering stable, shake-free footage no matter how heavy the action gets.
- Action camera with 1/2.3" CMOS Sensor, 12MP, wide-angle 145° that allows you to shoot 4K HDR videos.
- 8x Slow Motion: Capture every epic move with jaw-dropping clarity and detail when you use 8x slow motion with 1080p resolution and 240fps. Time-lapse: Condense time and movement for stunning, easy-to-achieve results.
- 11m Waterproof, -10℃ Temperature Resistant Sporting a watertight seal and a hydrophobic coating on the back touchscreen, Osmo Action is waterproof at depths of up to 11 meters, making it the perfect underwater companion. Versatile batteries perform well even in extremely cold environments with temperatures as low as -10℃.
- What you get: DJI Osmo Action, Camera Frame, Flat Adhesive Mount, Curved Adhesive Mount, Quick-Release Base, Battery, Battery Case, Locking Screw, USB-C Cable
- DJI Mimo App requires iOS 10.0, Android 7.0 or above. Compatible devices include: iPhone 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11, XS Max, XS, XR, X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE, Samsung Galaxy S10+, S10, S9+, S9 , S9+, S9, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge, Note 8, Huawei P30 Pro, P30, P20, P10, Mate 10 Pro, Mate 10, Mate 9 Pro, Mate 9, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo NEX, Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S, Mi 8, Mi 6, OnePlus 7, 6T, 5, Pixel 3 XL, 2 XL, 2, Google Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2
Inside its tiny casing, the Osmo Action is fitted with a full range of high-resolution features. Using DJI’s RockSteady Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), it allows up to 4K60 HDR video recording, records slow-motion video at speeds up to 1080p240, and can also run in time-lapse and hyperlapse modes. Still, photographs can be taken in raw or JPG format at up to 12MP resolution, and the camera can automatically turn to portrait mode when you rotate the camera 90° when taking stills. You can take advantage of the High Dynamic Range (HDR) support of the camera while filming in 4K30, and it has a wide dynamic range to simplify transitions between light and dark. Both stills and videos are stored in a slot on a microSD card that supports microSD/SDHC/SDXC cards with a minimum write speed of 30 Mb/s and a maximum size of 256 GB.
5. GoPro Max
Weight: 163g | Dimensions: 64 x 69 x 40mm | Waterproof: 5m | Stills resolution: 16.6MP | Video resolution: 6K/5.6K stitched | Memory: MicroSD | Mount: Flip-out mounting feet | Battery life: 78mins (5.6K)
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate buffer
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social, get Max HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Horizon Leveling: In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look whether you're getting sideways, flipping through the air or chasing your kids
- PowerPano: Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270-degree distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Take PowerPano selfies, action shots and vertical pics—all with a level horizon
- Premium 360 + Stereo Audio: Six mics capture true-to-life 360 audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro
- Digital Lenses: Choose from four digital lenses in HERO mode to get the shot. Capture video and photos in Narrow, Linear, Wide and Max SuperView—our widest view yet
- Max TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while moving through an activity. In HERO mode, automatically adjust speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Slow down to real time—savoring moments—and then tap to speed it back up
For adventurers, the GoPro Max looks like a 360-degree action cam, but this camera could really be used by anybody. The magic of 360 and GoPro Max is that (within reason), you can hit record and forget framing, then edit your footage in the game. Thanks to its high-quality capture and microphones, and the fact it can double up as a vlogging cam and an action cam too, we’ve placed this at the top of our list, but not in 4K. Standard 4K single-camera capture may also have been better, and some development might be used for the app experience, but given what the Max can do, it’s always a sensational move into what might really be the future of filming and we believe it’s the best 360 camera around right now.
Know About: Best Action Cameras that vloggers use
6. Insta360 One X2
Weight: 149g | Dimensions: 462x113x29.8mm | Waterproof: 10m | Stills resolution: 18.5MP | Video resolution: 5.7K | Memory: MicroSD | Mount: Tripod socket | Battery life: 80 minutes
- FlowState Stabilization ONE X2: FlowState brings highly effective anti-shaking for ultra-clear shooting, with unique 4 microphones design to pickup all-round sound. Compact camera body weighs only 149g/5.26oz.
- 5.7K 30FPS Video & Photo: 360°panoramic and wide angle 5.7K@30fps video and 6080x3040 photo are accessible, with touchable round LCD screen for preview and easy operation.
- Powerful Functions: HDR to let light in every corner, Voice control, TimeShift and cinematic slow-mo video, 9 burst shooting, night shot and interval shot, functions integrated in one.
- Rechargeable 1630mAh Battery: Built-in 1630mAh battery provides long working time, removable design is convenient for battery charging dock.
- Invisible Bullet Time: With invisible selfie stick for 360° full field video recording, connect the selfie stick with Insta360 bullet time handle grip(Not included) to explore in third-person view.
The One X2 regularly creates exquisite videos and images, a seriously amazing action camera that uses its 360o lenses not just for augmented reality, but for a plethora of innovative editing modes for widescreen videos. It takes time and persistence to learn, and the new phones are needed by their processing-intensive use, but the One X2 should not be overlooked for filmmakers trying to try anything fresh.
7. GoPro Hero7 Black
Weight: 118g | Waterproof: 10m | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: : 12MP | Battery life: 1-3hrs estimate
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Rugged + Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10m) and up for any adventure
- SuperPhoto: Get brilliant photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Voice control: Go hands-free with 16 voice commands like “GoPro, take a photo” and “GoPro, turn on.” Understands English (US, UK, AU and India), Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (BR), Russian & Spanish (EU and NA)
- 4K60 Video + 12MP Photos: HERO7 Black shoots stunning 4K60 video and 12MP photos that are as awesome as the moments themselves
- 8x Slo-Mo video: With ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video, you can slow things down by up to 8x to relive funny, interesting or epic moments in all their glory
The GoPro Hero7 Black is the action camera that gave us HyperSmooth, a method of video stabilization that is so great that new artistic possibilities are awoken. Up to 4K 60fps, the shake-buster still works. Those using a gimbal on their GoPro should ditch it because HyperSmooth offers a silky-smooth look to even handheld footage. However, it also introduces a new possibility to life; TimeLapse handheld recording. Named TimeWarp, the 2GB memory of the Hero7 Black allows HyperSmooth to be added to handheld frame-by-frame time-lapse shooting. The Hero7 Black provides great dynamic range, SuperPhoto, and 12 different voice commands, in addition to these stabilized hyper-lapses. It loses out on the fresh functionality and add-ons of the two more recent GoPros, though.