The best YouTube camera won’t necessarily make you the best YouTuber, but getting the right kit to create your content is absolutely vital to building your channel and your following.
And it’s not just as simple as buying the most advanced body; the very best YouTube camera is as much about how easy it is to get the footage from your device and into YouTube Studio. After all, the best articles in the world are definitely of little use if it creates workflow hassles and makes your life harder on the back end. Some cameras, like the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III, can Livestream directly to YouTube – which means you don’t also need a computer in order to broadcast.
You also need to consider what you’ll actually be shooting. Are you going to vlog from a desk in your home, or do you need something that you can use on a skate- or surfboard? Cameras come in many shapes and sizes, from pocket-sized and waterproof cubes just like the DJI Osmo Action, smartphones with a killer optical zoom like the Huawei P30 Pro, and mirrorless models with flip-out screens for easy vlogging just like the Canon EOS M6 Mark II.
We’re steering clear of cinema cameras and cameras for filmmaking in this guide, as these are geared towards a different tier of filmmaking. However, YouTube now supports HDR content, so you can turn your uploads into high-dynamic-range 4K masterpieces with a premium film camera like the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K.
Top 3 Mirrorless Camera for YouTube
|Sony Alpha a6400 Mirrorless Camera: Compact APS-C...||Check Price|
|Z 50 DX-format Mirrorless Camera Body w/ NIKKOR Z...||Check Price|
|Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Vlogging Camera Kit with...||Check Price|
Top 3 Point and Shoot Camera for YouTube
|Sony RX100 VII Premium Compact Camera with...||Check Price|
|Canon Mirrorless Camera [EOS M6 Mark II] (Body)...||Check Price|
|Sony Video Creator Kit (RX100VI 24-200mm F2.8-4.5...||Check Price|
Top 3 Action Camera for YouTube
|GoPro HERO8 Black - Waterproof Action Camera with...||Check Price|
|DJI Osmo Pocket - Handheld 3-Axis Gimbal...||Check Price|
|GoPro Hero7 Black — Waterproof Action Camera...||Check Price|
Top 3 DSLR Camera for YouTube
|Canon DSLR Camera [EOS 90D] | Vlogging Video...||Check Price|
|Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit with EF-S 18-55mm...||Check Price|
|Canon EOS 77D Body||Check Price|
Which option, or indeed options, you go for will come down to budget, and what type of video you need to produce – if it’s rough and ready clips, with a focus on content over crisp quality, you could be able to get away with using your smartphone. Supplement any of the phones on our list with a Shure MV88+ mic and you will level-up your audio in a flash, and as these phones have the ability to capture 4K they aren’t exactly slouching in the video department, provided the lighting’s right.
Bear in mind, though, that shooting in 4K may not be the best choice for your audience or workflow. Massive video files take longer to edit, render and upload – and obviously eat up more memory! In many cases 1080p does a great job, and rather than splash the cash on 4K production you would be well advised to invest in the best microphone for vlogging. Trust us, your followers will notice your audio quality (or lack of it!) far more than they will the difference between 4K and 1080p. So check out the best YouTube cameras below, then grab a good mic to go with it!
Best Camera for YouTube in 2021
1. Sony a6600
Check Out: Sony a6600 Lenses
- Next Gen speed: experience the world’s fastest 0. 02 sec AF with real-time AF and object tracking
- Enhanced subject capture: wide 425 Phase/ 425 contrast detection points over 84% of the sensor
- Fast & accurate: up to 11Fps continuous shooting at 24. 2MP raw with crisp, clear natural colors
- Multiple movie functions: make time lapse movies or slow/quick motion videos without post processing
2. Canon EOS M200
Check Out: Canon M200 Lenses
- Fast and accurate dual Pixel CMOS AF with eye detection AF.
- High-image quality with 24.1 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor.
- Combination tripod grip and remote control included.
- 4K video and 4K time-lapse movie along with vertical video*.
3. Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III
- 20 1 Megapixel 1 0” stacked CMOS sensor and DIGIC8 image processor
- 4 2x optical zoom Lens (24-100m f/1 8-2 8) with optical image Stabilizer
- Combination tripod grip and remote control included
- 4K 30P/ FHD 120P videos
4. Sony a6400
Check Out: Sony a6400 Lenses
- 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1" Exmor RS CMOS sensor w/ DRAM, large aperture 24-70mm1 F1.8-2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T...
- Enhanced subject capture: wide 425 Phase/ 425 contrast detection points over 84 percent of the sensor
- Fast & accurate: Up to 11Fps continuous shooting at 24.2 MP raw with crisp, clear natural colors
- Multiple movie functions: Make time lapse movies or slow/quick motion videos without post processing
5. Canon EOS M50
Check Out: Canon M50 Lenses
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast, accurate autofocus that helps you get the photo you want right as the moment happens
- 241 Megapixel APS C CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 8 Image Processor delivers incredible color, clear details, and stunning...
- Vari angle touchscreen LCD has a flexible tilt range ideal for high angle and low angle shooting, and reviewing your...
- Built in high resolution electronic viewfinder features approximately 2,360,000 dots to see high amounts of detail when...
6. GoPro Hero8 Black
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization – On, High and Boost. Get the widest views, or boost to...
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap mounts...
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined with our HERO8 Black mods...
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social media, get HyperSmooth stabilization...
7. Sony a6100
Check Out: Sony a6100 Lenses
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 51 200
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting at 24 2MP RAW w/ AF/AE tracking
8. Canon EOS 90D
Check Out: Canon 90D Lenses
- High image quality with 32.5 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor.
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 10 fps with no time Lag during ovf shooting
- External microphone suited for Canon EOS digital cameras
- to help enhance sound quality when shooting video.
9. Nikon Z50
Check Out: Nikon Z50 Lenses
- Compact, lightweight and durably constructed mirrorless camera
- First DX-format mirrorless camera to use a large 55mm lens mount, offering advantages in high image quality and low...
- 20.9 MP sensor with robust 4K UHD video features
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for simple pairing to a smartphone
10. Sony RX100 VII
- 20. 1MP 1. 0 Type stacked CMOS sensor, Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* 24 200 millimeter F2. 8 F4. 5 large aperture high...
- 0. 02 sec. High AF speed, 357 point focal plane Phase detection AF and 425 point contrast detection AF
- Up to 20 fps blackout free shooting, using up to 60 times/sec. Af/AE calculations.Dioptre Adjustment:-4.0 to +3.0 m-1
- Ai based real time tracking for stills and movies, and touch tracking. Real time eye AF for human (stills and movies),...
11. Panasonic Lumix GH5/GH5s
Check Out: Panasonic Lumix GH5/GH5s Lenses
- PROFESSIONAL PHOTO AND VIDEO PERFORMANCE: 10.2-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor and a significantly higher...
- RUGGED SPLASH/FREEZEPROOF DESIGN: Durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use out in the field and is freezeproof...
- UNLIMITED IN-CAMERA RECORDING OF C4K: Capable of internal SD card capture of 60p50p 8-bit, 30p25p24p 4:2:2 10-bit, 4K:...
- ANAMORPHIC VIDEO MODE: 4K Anamorphic professional video production interchangeable lens camera system enables high...
12. Canon EOS M6 Mark II
Check Out: Canon M6 Mark II Lenses
- High image quality with 32.5 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 14 fps with AF/AE tracking
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5, 481 manually selectable AF positions*, and eye AF Servo support
- 4K UHD 30P/ Full HD 129P video
12. Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Full-size 4/3 sensor/ 4096x2160 resolution
- 4K DKI video recording at 60 fps / 13 stop Dynamic Range
- Carbon fiber composite build / Black magic operating system
- 5" touchscreen LCD / 4 built-in microphones
13. Canon EOS 80D
Check Out: Canon 80D Lenses
- 45-point all cross-type AF system* allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing...
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.
- 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results.
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you shoot video with smooth, fast and accurate autofocus, and stills with instant and...
14. Fujifilm X-T30
Check Out: Fujifilm X-T30 Lenses
- Advanced Image Sensor Technology: The 26.1MP BSI APS-C X-Trans CMOS 4 image sensor and X-Processor 4 quad-core CPU...
- Accurate Auto-Focus Tracking and Face Detection: he new X-Processor 4 Quad Core-CPU offers fast and accurate...
- Superior video and image effects: The ex-t30 offers the ability to record 4K video at 30 frames per second or capture of...
- Intuitive Design with Comfortable Controls: Offers 3. 0-inch touch LCD with 2-way tilting and improved touch screen to...
15. Sony RX100 Mark VI
- RX100M6 is an incredible camera that offers the most versatility, with the 24-200mm zoom, 4K video capability, and...
- 4K video 30p/ 25p/ 24p. HD video 120p/ 100p/ 60p/ 50p/ 30p/25p/ 24p. High Frame Rate Recording (1920x1080) 240p/ 250p/...
- 180° degree flip up selfie screen, with convenient touchscreen/touch focus and built-in mic
- Pro features S-log3, S-log2 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) recording capability
16. DJI Osmo Pocket
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE】: as the smallest 3-axis stabilized handheld camera DJI has ever designed, the compact and...
- 【AMAZINGLY POWERFUL PERFORMANCE】: OSMO pocket snaps photos in stunning detail, thanks to a 1/2. 3-Inch sensor, 80°...
- 【CREATIVE】: Osmo Pocket can be connected to your phone for expanded viewing, sharing, and creative options
- 【A VARIETY OF FUNCTIONS】: Osmo Pocket features a variety of functions that allow you to create even more creative...
17. GoPro Hero7 Black
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver...
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn...
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you...
- Rugged + Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a...
How to Choose a Camera for YouTube
Big-name YouTube stars can simply afford to purchase expensive, studio-grade equipment. Consequently, it isn’t surprising that the videos they produce are crisp, clear, and easy on the eyes.
But how about those people who are simply starting out? Would they have to shell out lots just to obtain comparable video quality? Well, the answer is usually a big, resounding no 🙂
Nowadays, even budget cameras from reputable manufacturers can handle a lot, if you choose models that are cheaper, you may expect more complex models to execute even better.
So, what in the event you search for in an excellent YouTube camera? If you’re just getting started, you’d desire to hedge your bets by not choosing massively expensive cameras. However, you’re not likely to wish something that’s really cheap either, so focus you’re explore value instead.
Choose something that’s feature-rich but won’t cost you over a grand (there are a number of options).
Also, because tech is always advancing, you’d want a little bit of future-proofing by choosing a thing that can shoot stills, has built-in video effects, and may shoot in hi-def.
Lastly, you’d want a camera that’s small enough to take anywhere yet is rugged enough for use in rougher environments.