You will need the most incredible action camera to film your exciting video and dominate the internet. We got you the best GoPro action cameras that fit your needs. These rugged recording gear can capture magnificent films of your adventurous exploits, whether you’re skydiving or surfing. We put a variety of the best action cameras, ranging from budget alternatives to high-end ones, through our rigorous testing process. The results are ranked and summarized in the following table.
5 used from $420.95
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate buffer
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social, get Max HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Horizon Leveling: In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look whether you're getting sideways, flipping through the air or chasing your kids
- PowerPano: Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270-degree distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Take PowerPano selfies, action shots and vertical pics—all with a level horizon
The GoPro Max is the next-generation 360 camera with hypersmooth 2.0, 5.6K video resolution, Hero Mode, and a new interface for easier use.
$449.00 in stock
2 used from $386.99
- Revolutionary New Image Sensor: expansive field of view ever on a HERO camera out of the box. This gives you an extra-large canvas for your creativity by capturing more of the sky and horizon in every shot. Zoom in, crop your shots, change digital lenses, adjust aspect ratios and more while keeping the rich textures and sharpness of your footage.
- Unbelievable Image Quality: With 5.3K video that gives you 91% more resolution than 4K and an incredible 665% more than 1080p, HERO11 Black captures the action with crisp detail and cinematic image quality. A water- repelling lens cover even helps eliminate lens flare and other artifacts to make your photos and videos even more stunning.
- High-Res Photos + Videos, High Frame Rate: HERO11 Black’s new image sensor boosts photo resolution up to an incredible 27MP while delivering 5.3K60 video with amazingly fluid motion that you can use to grab stunning 24.7MP stills of your favorite shots. Plus, record 2.7K240 video that can be played back in 8x slo-mo to catch details that can’t be seen at normal speed.
- Emmy Award- Winning HyperSmooth Stabilization: HyperSmooth has never been better. And now it’s won a huge award for its insanely smooth footage—a 2021 Emmy for In- Camera Sensor and Software Stabilization. HyperSmooth 5.0 raises the bar even more with Horizon Lock, improved stabilization for 4:3 aspect ratio footage thanks to our new image sensor, and AutoBoost for maximum stabilization with minimal image cropping. Bike, skate, ski, chase your kids through the park or get some awesome pet POV shots—even the shakiest footage comes out silky smooth.
- What’s Included: HERO11 Black Camera, Enduro Battery, Carrying Case, Curved Adhesive Mount, Mounting Buckle + Thumb Screw, USB-C Cable
Great quality pictures and videos: The GoPro Hero 11 is very clear, whether you're taking 27-megapixel photos or recording 4K video.
$394.98 in stock
4 used from $328.99
- Revolutionary Processor: Faster. Smoother. Better. The powerful new GP2 engine changes the game—snappy performance, responsive touch controls and double the frame rate for amazingly smooth footage. Designed specifically for the demanding nature of the GoPro, the GP2 “system on a chip” is by far our fastest ever.
- High-Res Photos plus Videos, High Frame Rate: Step up to the sharpest-shooting GoPro ever. Upgraded to incredible 23MP photos and 5.3K video resolution at 60fps, HERO10 offers double the frame rate for amazingly smooth motion. Plus, there’s 8x slo-mo at 2.7K and you can pause videos and grab 15.8MP still photos from 5.3K video that look amazing.
- Unbelievable Image Quality: Shoot with fine detail, realistic textures and stunning contrast, even in low light. Images look their best thanks to a new water-shedding hydrophobic lens cover that repels water while helping to eliminate lens flare and other artifacts.
- HyperSmooth 4.0: HyperSmooth has never been smoother, and it’s easy to dial in the best stabilization at all times. Plus, get even better low-light performance and horizon leveling with a higher tilt limit, so your footage looks perfectly straight when you want it.
- Fast, Reliable Connectivity: Super easy, super fast. Transferring photos and videos from your cloud-connected GoPro to your phone is simple and versatile, with your choice of effortless wireless upload via the Quik app or a lightning-fast wired connection via USB. There’s also unlimited cloud storage with hassle-free auto upload. Just plug in your camera when connected to your home Wi-Fi and the camera does the rest.
The HERO10 is one of the most flexible cameras now available, since it provides maximum speed while maintaining an exceptionally simple user interface.
$294.99 in stock
7 used from $279.95
- 5K VIDEO: Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining serious detail even when zooming in. Packing a new 23.6MP sensor that’s an absolute powerhouse, HERO9 Black brings lifelike image sharpness, fluid motion and in-camera horizon leveling that always impresses.
- 20 MP PHOTO WITH SUPERPHOTO: Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto, HERO9 Black can automatically pick all the best image processing for you, so it’s super easy to nail the shot.
- FRONT DISPLAY + REAR TOUCH SCREEN: A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black should feel instantly familiar and a dazzling new front display makes for easy framing and intuitive camera control.
- POWERFUL BATTERY: 30% longer battery life is here thanks to a larger 1720mAh battery. This lets you shoot more without having to swap out batteries and packs enough juice to power your camera through the cold.
- HYPERSMOOTH 3.0: Experience ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever. HyperSmooth 3.0 enables in-camera horizon leveling and boost in all settings.
The 5K video and 20MP photos that HERO9 takes are stunning. Add HyperSmooth 3.0 stabilization, powerful features, and a design that is strong and waterproof.
$264.15 in stock
3 used from $248.67
- GOPRO HERO8 BUNDLE: GoPro HERO8 Black Camera plus Battery plus Sleeve Lanyard features amazing HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization combines with a tough waterproof design to make this one of the most versatile HERO cameras ever; with the optional Media Mod, you can add more lighting, pro audio and even another screen.
- PRO-QUALITY 4K60 plus 1080p240 VIDEO: Stunning video resolution, impressive frame rates and super slo-mo combine with HyperSmooth stabilization to make HERO8 Black a top pick for pro shooters; live stream in 1080p as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
- RUGGED plus WATERPROOF plus ADVANCED WIND NOISE REDUCTION: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO8 Black is rugged, waterproof to 33ft (10m) and down for adventure. Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- HYPERSMOOTH 2.0: The HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization—On, High and Boost—so you can pick the best option for whatever you do. Get an ultra wide view, or boost it up to some of the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Plus, HyperSmooth works with all resolutions and frame rates, and features in-app horizon leveling.
- COMPATIBLE WITH GOPRO MOUNTS plus ACCESSORIES: Wear it. Mount it. Love it. With over 45 compatible mounts and accessories, including mods to customize your HERO8 Black, you can capture incredible new perspectives.
GoPro has made a good step forward with the Hero8 Black, which has a new design with an integrated mount and a better user interface.
3 used from $289.99
- GoPro HERO7 Camera - In E-Commerce Packaging
- 4K60 VIDEO AND 12MP PHOTOS: Awesome as the moments themselves. 8x Sol-Mo Video - With ultra high frame rate 1080p240 video, you can slow things down by up to 8x to relive funny, interesting or epic moments in all their glory
- HYPERSMOOTH VIDEO STABILIZATION: Get gimbal-like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TIME WARP VIDEO plus SUPER PHOTO: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments. Get the best photos automatically. With Super Photo, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots.
- RUGGED plus WATERPROOF: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m) and up for any adventure
Waterproof Action Camera with Touch Screen 4K Ultra HD Video 12MP Photos 720p Live Streaming Stabilization.
Which GoPro action camera is the most suitable for the majority of users? The Hero 11 Black continues GoPro’s tradition of producing high-quality action cameras, a trend that continues with this model. The 8:7 aspect ratio of its sensor provides a helpful array of cropping choices for social media. The Horizon Lock function maintains 5.3K/30p footage stable and level through 360 degrees, making it, without a doubt. This most feature-packed model is currently available for purchase.
GoPro’s flagship model does not come cheap. If you’re seeking an action camera that offers better value, the DJI Osmo Action 3 is our recommendation. Although it does not have the best image quality in its class, it is a solid alternative to the GoPro Hero 11 Black, which is more sturdy, comes at a lower price point, and has a broader field of vision in addition to excellent diving capabilities—looking for something even more reasonably priced? The dual-screen Akaso Brave 7 LE is another of our top picks for the finest affordable action camera.
Weight: 163g | Waterproof: 5m | 5.6K spherical video: Up to 30fps | 1440p 2D video: up to 60fps | Stills resolution: 16.6MP | Battery life: 108 minutes (1440p), 78 minutes (5.6K)
- In-camera stitching
- degree video
- Not the best in low light
- Low-resolution 2D footage
The GoPro Hero 8 Black and Hero 9 Black are still the superior options if your primary objective is to record standard action camera footage (that is, a video that is not captured in 360 degrees) at the highest possible quality.
On the other hand, if the idea of reframing your films after they’ve been shot appeals to you and you’re searching for excellent audio quality, then the Max is a perfect option to consider.
The most expensive GoPro action camera produced utilizes two fisheye lenses to record spherical 5.6K footage, which can be cropped using GoPro’s OverCapture software to make a regular 2D video.
Additionally, it is jam-packed with features such as six-microphone audio (which records excellent audio, although not entirely up to the level of what GoPro calls shotgun mic’), shooting modes such as TimeWarp, and built-in mounting fingers to ensure that you do not require an additional mount to attach it to anything.
Weight: 153g | Waterproof: 10m | 5.3K video: up to 60fps | 4K video: up to 120fps | 2.7K video: up to 240fps | tills resolution: 27MP | Battery life: 1720mAh
- 10-bit mode useful for color grading
- The versatile aspect ratio for cropping
- Budget rivals offer better value
- Still not great in low lighting
The most recent version of GoPro’s flagship product does not significantly improve image quality. However, the Hero 11 Black is GoPro’s most versatile action camera due to its newly developed 1/1.9-inch sensor. In addition, because of its aspect ratio of 8:9, you may export material in formats suitable for various social platforms without sacrificing the content’s quality.
The upgraded sensor makes it possible to use a super-wide HyperView lens and enable Horizon Lock in some video modes. However, when testing, we noticed that the ability to maintain scene levels over 360 degrees when shooting at 5.3K/30p with a linear lens was one of the most impressive features.
Maximum video resolutions are identical to the GoPro Hero 10 Black, coming in at 5.3K/60p and 4K/120p, respectively. The 10-bit color option is new, giving editors more helpful choices when they wish to grade in post-production. Additionally, the maximum bit rates have been increased to 120Mbps, which will assist it in better managing complicated situations.
Sensor: 23MP GP2 Chip with Improved Performance | Image: 5.3K60/4K120/2.7K240 Video, 23MP Photos | Screen: New Front Display/Rear Touchscreen | Connectivity: Cloud Connected, 1080p Live Streaming | Performance: Enhanced Low-Light Performance | Image Stabilization: HyperSmooth 4.0 | Waterproof: 33′ without a Housing | Video Mode: Time-Lapse & Night-Lapse, 8x Slo-Mo | Battery: 1720mAh Capacity
- Class-leading stabilization
- Powerful new processor
- Handy 4K/120p mode
- Pricier than rivals
- Same sensor as Hero 9 Black
The most recent version of GoPro’s flagship product isn’t a tremendous improvement over its predecessor. Still, if you’re searching for the most potent and well-polished action camera available, this is it. The new GP2 processor in the Hero 10 Black is the most significant change since it enables various new and helpful capabilities.
We observed that some of them, such as its capability to take video in 4K at 120 frames per second, were genuinely astounding. In contrast, others, such as its far more responsive touchscreen, felt like remedies for the shortcomings of the Hero 9 Black.
The result is a waterproof companion that is great for filming outdoor activities or vlogging films in 4K, as well as an action camera that is more flexible and enjoyable to use than its predecessor.
The highest-quality HyperSmooth stabilization offered by GoPro, which is now accessible in more shooting modes, performed exceptionally well in our testing and continues to be a significant advantage over the stabilization provided by your smartphone. Although you may find better value elsewhere, including in previous GoPro models like the Hero 8 Black, we believe the Hero 10 Black is well worth the additional cost for most consumers.
Weight: 158g | Waterproof: 10m | 5K video: up to 30fps | 4K video: up to 60fps | 2.7K: up to 120fps | 1080: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 20MP | Battery: 1720mAh
- Improved battery life
- 5K video captures lots of detail
- Front display for vlogging
- Slight improvement to the 4K video
- The rear screen is currently unresponsive
Since then, it has been removed from the official GoPro line-up, and the Hero 8 Black has taken its place as the entry-level choice for the brand. However, a large quantity of Hero 7 Black stock is available at reasonable rates. You should give it some thought if you want a more real GoPro action camera that still possesses superb HyperSmooth stabilization. Although it can record 4K video, the Hero 7 Black does not provide this resolution in the ‘Linear’ shooting mode. This mode corrects the fisheye distortion when broader filming modes are used. Additionally, there is no high bit-rate 100Mbps mode.
Weight: 126g | Waterproof: 10m | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 12MP | Battery: 1220mAh
- Built-in mounting arms
- Best-in-class digital stabilization
- Time-saving Capture Presets
- No front display
- Poor low-light performance
Although it has been replaced by the GoPro Hero 10 Black and Hero 9 Black, this model still has the potential to be the most cost-effective option for you, particularly if you do not want a screen that is mounted on the front of the camera.
Compared to the most recent versions of GoPro, what other features do you not have access to? These two successors also feature better slow-motion capabilities and 5K video formats. Suppose none of these things are deal-breakers for you. In that case, you’ll discover that the Hero 8 Black shoots similarly great 4K video, delivers virtually equivalent HyperSmooth stabilization (except the most demanding settings), and has one less color screen that you must worry about damaging.
Weight: 118g | Waterproof: 10m | 4K video: up to 60fps | 1080: up to 240fps | 720: up to 240fps | Stills resolution: 12MP | Battery life: 1-3hrs (est)
- HyperSmooth is very effective
- Great 4K video and image quality
- The screen unresponsive at times
- Can struggle with voice commands
Since then, it has been removed from the official GoPro line-up, and the Hero 8 Black has taken its place as the entry-level choice for the brand. However, a large quantity of Hero 7 Black stock is available at reasonable rates. So you should give it some thought if you want a more real action camera that still possesses GoPro’s superb HyperSmooth stabilization.
Although it can record 4K video, the Hero 7 Black does not provide this resolution in the ‘Linear’ shooting mode. This mode corrects the fisheye distortion when broader filming modes are used. Additionally, there is no high bit-rate 100Mbps mode.
The best GoPro camera for you depends on your specific needs and budget. To find the best GoPro camera, consider the following factors:
- Resolution: If you want to capture high-quality photos and videos, look for a camera with at least 4K resolution.
- Image stabilization: Look for cameras with built-in image stabilization to help reduce camera shake and produce smoother footage.
- Battery life: Consider the camera’s battery life, as running out of power during a crucial moment can be frustrating.
- Durability: If you plan to take your camera on outdoor adventures, look for one that is waterproof and rugged.
- Additional features: Some GoPros have features such as live streaming, voice control, and time-lapse photography.
- Price: Compare the prices of different GoPro models and choose one that fits your budget.
It’s also a good idea to read reviews and watch videos of the camera you’re interested in to see how it performs in different settings and scenarios.
Which GoPro camera is the best to buy?
It depends on your specific needs and budget. The GoPro Hero 9 Black is the latest and most advanced model, but the GoPro Hero 8 Black or GoPro Max may be more suitable for some users, depending on their needs. It is best to research and compare each camera’s features before deciding.
What is the best GoPro for sports?
The GoPro Hero 9 Black is the best option for sports as it offers the most advanced features, such as 5K resolution, HyperSmooth 3.0 video stabilization, and live streaming capabilities. It also has a waterproof design and built-in mounts for easy attachment. But if you are looking for a budget-friendly option, GoPro Hero 7 Black is a good sports action camera.
What are the disadvantages of GoPro?
The main disadvantage of GoPro cameras is their high cost compared to other action cameras. They also have a relatively short battery life and limited built-in storage. They also have a small screen and lack manual control options, making it difficult to compose shots and adjust settings. Additionally, the GoPro cameras are not designed for low-light conditions and may produce poor-quality images or videos in low-light environments.
Is GoPro 10 better than 9?
GoPro has not released a camera called GoPro 10 as of my knowledge cutoff date (2021). The most recent camera, GoPro, has released the GoPro Hero 9 Black. It’s the latest and most advanced model and includes new features such as 5K resolution, a color front display, and improved video stabilization. Unfortunately, the GoPro Hero 10 does not exist as of my knowledge cutoff.
What is the best GoPro for beginners?
The GoPro Hero 7 White is an excellent option for beginners. It offers 1080p video and 10MP photos, has a 2-inch touchscreen display, and built-in WiFi and Bluetooth for easy sharing and editing. In addition, it’s easy to use, durable and budget-friendly, making it an excellent choice for those new to using action cameras.
Does GoPro 10 take good still photos?
GoPro has not released a camera called GoPro 10 as of my knowledge cutoff date (2021). However, the latest camera, GoPro, has released the GoPro Hero 9 Black, which has a 20 MP sensor that can take 5K resolution photos. GoPro cameras are generally known for their high-quality still photos, making them a popular choice for action and adventure photography.
Is GoPro Quik worth it?
GoPro Quik is a free video editing software that allows users to quickly and easily create professional-looking videos from their GoPro footage. It is simple to use and offers a wide range of editing tools, including filters, effects, and music. For beginners and people who are looking for a quick and easy way to edit their GoPro footage, Quik is worth it. However, if you are looking for advanced features and control, you may want to look for other video editing software options.