Nikon D3400 is one of Nikon’s finest DSLR ever produced as it delivers detail-rich images thanks to the 24.2 megapixels CMOS DX-Format sensor paired with a decent ISO rate of 100-25600. The autofocus system is pretty decent as well as it offers the 11-point AF system. Add in 5 frames per second of continuous drive and a durable build with refined handling. The amazing Nikon D3400 is the best entry-level DSLR Camera.
To shoot with Nikon D3400 as per your liking, you can explore a wide variety of lenses; following are some praised lenses you can exploit with D3400:
Best All-in-one Nikon D3400 Lenses
1. Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR
- Maximum magnification of 032x
- Angle of view from 76 degree to 5 degree 20'. Focal length range: 18 300 millimeter, minimum focus distance: 16 feet...
- Aperture range from f/35 to f/22
- Angle of view from 76 to 520'
This lens knows no boundaries and can do it all! It uses a vibration reduction technology to attain clear photos and steady videos and a fast and quiet AutoFocus system to reduce any camera noise while shooting. It is the only lens you need to completely exploit the D3400 as you can capture any still, landscape, close-up, or portrait and even record videos whether they may be of fast running athletes or rock stars jamming to their music; Its notably compact for a 16.7x zoom-in lens and draws great performance from Nikon DX-format DSLRs.
2. Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
- One-lens solution adept in a wide variety of situations
- Focal length range: 18 -200 mm, minimum focus Distance: 1.6 ft.
- Two extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements; three aspherical lens elements
- Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM), Nikon VR II (vibration reduction) image stabilization
This lens is considered versatile and convenient because of its high image quality and an immense zoom-in range, i-e 18mm to 200mm, suitable for capturing landscapes and athletics. It is also compatible with DX-format DSLRs, but it does not have a perfect telephoto, making the lens suitable for all sorts of surroundings.
Best Portrait Nikon D3400 Lenses
3. Nikon 50mm f/1.4G
- F1.4 maximum aperture; F16 minimum
- Ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing, 58mm filters
- Minimum focus Distance : 0.45m/17.72 Inches. Lens Hood: HB-47
- Nikon F mount for FX and DX DSLRs. Unparalleled autofocus performance.Mount Type: Nikon F-Bayonet
It is the best lens for clicking portraits. This lens is ideal for taking portraits on a Nikon DX-format DSLR in all sorts of surroundings and lighting conditions. It can be a formal event or just general portraits. It can capture all, as it uses an excellent optical formula and an ultra-fast f/1.4 maximum aperture.
4. Nikon 85mm f/1.8G
- Fast aperture medium telephoto lens
- Internal focus, focal length: 85 millimeter, minimum focus range: 0.80 meter
- Silent wave motor (SWM). Number of diaphragm blades: 7 (rounded diaphragm opening)
- M/a focus mode switch. Filter-attachment size is 67 millimeter (p=0.75 millimeter)
This lens provides high image quality and is considered a good investment for DX and FX. It develops a concise, high-end portrait with Nikon’s Internal Focus (IF) technology, which provides fast and quiet AutoFocus at all apertures. Furthermore, its fast maximum aperture is best for taking stills or recording HD videos under a variety of different lightings at weddings or concerts.
Best Macro Lenses for Nikon D3400
5. Nikon 40mm f/2.8G Micro
- Compact and lightweight DX-format close-up lens. Lens Construction (Elements/Groups) - 9 elements in 7 groups
- Maximum reproduction ratio is 1.0x. Focal length is 40 mm
- Sharp images from infinity to life-size (1x), autofocus to 64 inches
- Close-range correction system (CRC). Silent wave motor (SWM)
While being quite small, this lens is best known for capturing close-ups, portraits, landscapes, and intricately detailed designs. It allows its users to get true 1:1 magnification for extreme close-up photographs. However, its standard focal length lens provides high resolution and contrast from infinity to life-size (1X), its best feature.
6. Nikon 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Micro
- Designed for close-up and macro photography; versatile enough for virtually any photographic situation
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format): 23°20'.Features new VR II vibration reduction technology, Focal Length : 105 mm,...
- Nano-Crystal coat and ED glass elements that enhance overall image quality by further reducing flare and chromatic...
- Includes an internal focus, which provides fast and quiet auto-focusing without changing the length of the lens. Maximum...
This macro lens is the first to feature two of Nikon’s technologies: Silent Wave Motor (SWM) and Vibration Reduction (VR), which is designed especially for close-up, and macro photography are suitable for all photographic conditions. The VR system offers a three shutter speed that enables slower shutter speeds while still maintaining image sharpness, even in low light. It is an incredible Macro Lens; it has a medium telephoto Microlens, ideal for extreme close-up and portrait photography even with extreme distances, and has autofocus from infinity to life-size (1:1).
Best Wide-Angle Prime Nikon D3400 Lenses
7. Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Optical designs is highly resistant to strong incidental light sources such as backlight
- Minimized Chromatic aberration, distortion, and ghosting
- This lens delivers excellent brightness and bokeh and is ideal high speed lens for snapshots.
- The Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM can be considered as the culmination of the Art line in relation with F1.4 series
This lens is ideal for high image quality while maintaining an accurate, fast, and smooth focus. With a focal length of 20mm and F1.4 aperture, this lens produces an outstanding large-aperture brightness and bokeh to capture various seascapes, cityscapes, and astrophotography, also perfect for indoor and wedding photography.
Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Nikon D3400
8. Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
- Ideal for landscapes, cityscapes, interiors, architecture and more.
- Focal Length : 10- 24 mm, Close focusing to 0.8 feet
- Renders a picture angle of 109 degrees through 61 degrees, equivalent to focal lengths of 15-36mm.
- SWM enables fast, accurate and quiet autofocus operation., For superior sharpness and color correction by effectively...
This lens offers two technologies at once that are Internal Focus (IF) and Nikon’s SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for fast and pin-point focusing up to 0.8 feet. Nikon’s best DX-format wide-angle lens; has a wider range and sharp picture quality than any other lens, making it the best for landscape and architecture photography and admirable colors and contrasts. Also, it covers virtually all of the useful focal lengths from ultra-wide to a normal field of view.
9. Tokina 14-20mm f/2.0 AT-X Pro DX
- Nikon F Mount Lens/DX Format. 21-30mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/2 to f/22. One Plastic-Molded Aspherical Element
- Two Glass-Molded Aspherical SD Elements. Two Super Low Dispersion Elements
- Multi-Layer Anti-Reflection Coating. Internal Focus; One-Touch Focus Clutch
Being the fastest lens ever made by Tokina, it also captures exact images. The fast F/2.0 aperture lens offers an equivalent 21-30mm zoom range. The super-bright, constant F/2.0 aperture makes viewing, autofocus, and shooting possible even in meager light surroundings.
10. Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 ATX Pro DX II
- USA Version. 3 Year Tokina Warranty included. Intended for sale within the USA.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22 Designed for Cameras with APS-C Sensors
- Two Aspheric Lens Elements Two Super-Low Dispersion Lens Elements
- Multi-Layer Coating 77mm Filter Thread
This compact lens has an ultra-wide-angle zoom with a bright constant F2.8 aperture, making viewing and auto focus possible in all lighting situations. Its angle of view ranges from 104-84°, and it can focus as close as 11.8″. It has an internal silent focusing motor which allows the lens to use autofocus even on Nikon bodies. Having a fast f/2.8 constant maximum aperture is a clear advantage for low light shooting over slower models, yet it possesses incredible sharpness levels.
Best Standard Prime Lenses for Nikon D3400
11. Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- 35mm focal length, 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras, 56mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F1.4 maximum aperture; F16 minimum, This model is compatible with all current Nikon cameras (both DX and FX)
- Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- 67mm filters,0.30m/11.81" minimum focus. Maximum Magnifications-1:5.2. Angle of View-63.4º
This lens is a must-have for any camera bag. The Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM is a truly excellent lens that performs as well in the field as its superb lab test results suggest. It has fast, silent focusing, and its lower price makes it a compelling alternative to camera users.
12. Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
- F mount lens/DX format. Picture angle with Nikon DX format 44 degree
- 52.5 millimeter (35-millimeter equivalent). Rear focusing; Manual focus override
- Aperture range: F/1.8 to 22; Dimensions(approx.) 70 x 52.5 millimeter
- Silent wave motor AF system. Accepts filter type is screw on. Lens construction: 8 elements in 6 groups
This lens has a compact, lightweight design with high resolution and picture quality at an affordable price. It has an f/1.8 maximum aperture, which is very useful in low-light situations. It has a spherical element to help control distortion and aberrations of any kind, making it a perfect lens for travel, environmental portraits, street, and general photography.
Best Standard Zoom Lenses for Nikon D3400
13. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
- Designed specifically for APS-C sized sensors
- Internal focusing and zooming allows for more usability and functionality
- The 18-35mm is ideal for landscapes, portraits, still life, snap shots, casual, and close-ups
- Angle of view (SD1):76.5º-44.2º
This should be the first lens to try with Nikon D3400. It is the first wide-angle lens to have a standard zoom to achieve a large aperture of 1.8. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art is ideal for landscapes, portraits, stills, and close-up photography. Besides, it consists of Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM), which ensures smooth, fast, and accurate autofocus.
14. Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM
- Large aperture, stabilized, standard zoom lens
- FLD glass with performance equal to fluorite
- Carrying case, lens hood, front & rear caps. Lens Construction : 17 Elements in 13 Groups
- OS is not available in Pentax and Sony mounts.
This lens has a large-aperture standard zoom lens covering a 17-50mm focal length (equivalent to 26-75mm). It offers a large aperture of F2.8 throughout the entire zoom range in different sorts of photography, such as covering formal events, weddings, and even press photography. Sigma’s anti-shake feature offers the use of shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower. Besides, HSM provides fast and quiet AF. Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM’s Multi-Layer coating reduces all flares and ghosting. This lens boasts perfect peripheral brightness and provides sharp contrast images even at maximum apertures. Moreover, it is a compact must-have in a camera bag.
15. Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G
- Versatile FX-format wide-angle (18mm) to standard (35mm) zoom lens
- Focal Length : 18-35 mm, Focus as close as 0.92 ft. from your subject
- Excellent choice for travel and architecture, landscape and everyday photography as well as HD-Video applications
- Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) provides ultra-fast, ultra-quiet autofocusing with seamless manual override
This lens is the best travel lens as it features a compact, lightweight design, making it portable. Even though it has an 18mm wide-angle perspective that captures a large scene into the frame ideal for shooting architecture and landscapes and group portraits, it is ideal for shooting indoors and in close quarters. But zoom all the way in, and you get a natural 35mm perspective that mimics the field view of a human eye, so it is ideal for all sorts of shooting and capturing.
Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Nikon D3400
16. Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
- The most compact lens in its class
- Minimum focus distance: 51.2 in (1.3m); Maximum magnification ratio: 1: 8 (at f=200mm: MFD 51.2), Focal Length 70-200...
- Fast F/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range, Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating...
- New VC anti-shake mechanism with 4-stop advantage.
It has the most compact and high-speed telephoto zoom lens with VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) in its class. This lens offers high image quality boosted by advanced Vibration Compensation (image stabilization) and an Ultrasonic Silent Drive Motor for quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus. The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI USD is popular because of its high-end images and its adequate bokeh. It also has a High-speed standard to the telephoto zoom lens with a fast f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range.
17. Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR
- 70 300mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4.5 5.6 maximum aperture for Nikon digital SLR cameras
- Internal Focus (IF) system provides fast and quiet autofocusing; 4.9 feet Minimum focus range, Focal Length Range : 70...
- Vibration Reduction (VRII) minimizes effects of camera shake to produce sharper images
- 2 Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements delivers super contrast and resolution performance
This lens is a versatile, lightweight telephoto zoom lens. Ideal for shooting wildlife, travel diaries, sporting events, and even general photography. It offers a 4.3x zoom with a focal length range of 70-300mm and a 35mm equivalency of 105-450mm when used on DX-format DSLRs. It also provides the equivalence of 2.5 shutter speed stops to capture sharper images in low light or at extended zoom lengths.
18. Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
- Lightweight and portable at just 29.3 oz and a mere 7.0-in. long
- Focal Length Range : 70 -200 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 3.28 ft.
- Optimized for capturing high-quality stills and HD videos on both FX- and DX-format cameras
- Nikon's high-performance f/4 fixed aperture zoom lens. Weight- Approx-30.0 pounds. 20 elements in 14 groups (including 3...
Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR is an ideal lightweight, portable, and highly versatile lens with which you can cover a comprehensive focal length range with f/4 speed and superior image quality. Its f/4 fixed maximum aperture excels in low light and lets you maintain a consistent exposure while zooming, which is especially useful when recording HD videos. This lens is essential for low light or fast action sequences.
19. Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
- VC (Vibration Compensation) , Angle of View diagonal 16゜25' - 4゜8' for full-frame format 10゜38' - 2゜40' for...
- Minimum Focus Distance of 2.7m (106.3in), Focal Length : 150-600mm
- USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive), New eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating
- Moisture-resistant construction
This lens has the best telephoto zoom while also featuring image stabilization, fast and quiet autofocus, and advanced lens coatings for sharp, contrasted photos. Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD lens is best suited for sports and wildlife photography, as well as for landscapes. It has a built-in tripod. On an APC-C sensor camera, its focal range is equivalent to 233-930mm. This lens with D3400 can capture the beauty of wildlife, travel diaries, architecture, exciting sports actions, and close-ups with this high-performance 150-600mm long-range zoom.
20. Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II
- Compact telephoto zoom that's great for action, people and travel. Metering - Full aperture
- Focal Length Range : 55 -200 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 3.7 ft. ( 1.1 m). Maximum angle of view (DX-format): 28°50',...
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) delivers superior color quality while reducing ghosting and lens flare
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass nearly eliminates optical distortion, while a rounded seven-blade diaphragm makes out of...
This lens is a versatile and compact telephoto zoom lens that is well-suited for portraiture, sports, and wildlife photography and ideal for travel and everyday use. Its versatile zoom range goes from 55mm, which is great for portraits and group shots. It has telephoto zoom up to 200mm for catching close-ups on the sports field, school events, formal events, and more.
What lenses are compatible with the Nikon D3400?
The Nikon D3400 is one of those cameras that beginners and experts both love. Its small size makes it a fantastic travel camera, and the learning curve isn’t too steep for newbies. The D3400 accepts both DX lenses designed for crop sensors and FX lenses made for full-frame, though you may find the latter a bit heavy for your camera.
Recommended Nikon D3400 Lenses
I spent a month shooting the Nikon D3400 and really enjoyed the experience. Even though I own several cameras costing over 3x the price of the D3400, I found I could achieve a similar image despite it being labeled an ‘entry-level’ camera.
You may have bought the D3400 as some form of ‘bundle,’ which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, to really make the most of that excellent DX sensor, I recommend you sticking at least one of the lenses in this list on the front of your camera!
In an ideal world, you’ll have a wide-angle lens, a telephoto zoom lens, and a fast prime – with those 3, and you can shoot pretty much anything… unless, of course, macro photography is your thing, which is why I included the option for that above too.
Whatever your lens choice for the D3400, the goal is to get out there and shoot. It’s Nikon’s smallest, lightest DSLR digital camera body, so pair it with a nice light lens, and have it with you as much as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What lenses are compatible with Nikon d3400?
The Nikon D3400 is an APS-C sensor camera, also known as a ‘DX’ camera. This means that any Nikon APS-C (DX) zoom lens and any Nikon full-frame (FX) lens, can be used on it.
Which lens is best for Nikon d3400?
This depends on your intended usage – no one lens is right for every photographer, but the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G would be our top choice if we had to choose.
Will AF S zoom lens work on d3400?
AF-S lenses use Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor (SWM) and rely on rotational energy to focus on a lens’s optics. AF-S is the universal Nikon autofocus lens system, and as such, works on all DSLR digital cameras, including the D3400.