Mirrorless cameras have been around in the market for a time period of about 10 years. They have been in continuous demand for the past 2 to 3 years. Many serious photographers have replaced their expensive DSLRs with these mirrorless cameras as the image and video capturing the quality of these mirrorless cameras is quite exceptional.
When it comes to low light situations, mirrorless cameras stand out of these DSLRs and point and shoot cameras as their ISO sensitivity range goes beyond that of DSLRs. Mirrorless cameras are also lighter in weight and compact in size just like point and shoot cameras. Also, video recording capability is extraordinary.
When buying the best mirrorless camera, there are a couple of features that should be checked in one. To avoid making the wrong choice, we have improvised a couple of features that the camera should be utilizing. Have a look at them!
Also, we have prepared a list of mirrorless cameras that are under the range of $500. It starts from here:
Best Mirrorless Camera Under $500 in 2021
1. Sony A6000
- Advanced 24.2MP back Illuminated 35 millimeter full frame image sensor
- ISO 100 25600 (expandable to 51200). Lens compatibility: Sony E mount lenses
- Hybrid AF with 179 point focal plane phase detection and 25 contrast detect points
- Up to 11 FPS continuous shooting. Battery Life (Still Images): Up to 360 shots. Metering type:1200-zone evaluative...
Check Out: Best Lenses for Sony A6000
Sony A6000 24 megapixels CMOS sensor and the image processor can produce some high-quality images. Along with the images, the camera is suited really good for video applications such as Full HD recording. Sony A6000 intelligent fast hybrid Auto-Focus system use phase and control detection method to acquire focus as soon as the camera is placed on an individual or an item. 1080p recording can go up to 60 frames per second. Continuous shooting mode can capture them at 11 frames per second which is quite a useful feature in this price point.
2. Fujifilm X-A5
- Optical Zoom: 3.0
- Video Capture Resolution: 4K Uhd 2160P
- Display Size: 3.0
- Viewfinder Type: Flexible Lcd
Fujifilm X-A5 camera comes with a 24.2 Megapixels camera while weighing only 1.1 pounds, including the lens kit. The exceptional video capturing skill of the camera makes it stand out during comparisons with other cameras in the same price range. Fujifilm X-A5 is able to record a 4K video with 60 frames per second. The feature is not common in every other even in today’s time. The tilting 3 inches LCD touchscreen can be turned 180 degrees to take selfies. ISO sensitivity goes up to 12,800 and the battery life is capable of taking 450 pictures in a single charge that is outstanding. The camera kills every other DSLR in terms of its battery life and video recording.
3. Olympus E-M10 Mark III
- In body 5 axis image stabilization for blur free stills and smooth 4K video
- 16 megapixel live MOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processor
- 4K 30P video plus HD 120 frames per second high speed video
- Timeless, easy to use body design; Compact & lightweight with 2 dials, arrow pad and shortcut button
The cameras perform outstanding while going through the videography content. The 4K content is captured at 30 frames per second just like every other modern tech camera. The electronic viewfinder is present for its enthusiasts. The camera performs absolutely well in low light situations as the ISO can shoot up to 25600. Like other modern-day cameras, it also comes with Wi-Fi. Below extension in the ISO can be observed to a number of 100. When talking about mirrorless cameras, the Olympus E-M10 Mark III is one good choice. The camera is a great package for the people who are looking to buy a camera under $500 and provides both well still and video capturing.
4. Sony A68
- Wide area 79-point Phase Detection “4D Focus” AF system, 24.2MP APS-C sensor for astonishing image quality with fine...
- SteadyShot INSIDE In-body image stabilization for every A-mount lens, Full HD XAVC S movie recording 30p/24p up to...
- Large 2.7” tillable, 460K dot LCD screen, Up to ISO 25,600 for clean low light images with low noise, Top display,...
The CMOS sensor is rated at 24 megapixels. The continuous shooting rate exists at 8 frames per second. The whole system of the camera is speedy and accurate because it utilizes a 79 phase-detect Auto Focus. The camera has been noted widely for its video recording at multiple frame rates depending upon the situation. The translucent mirror technology is the exceptional feature of the camera because it allows the mirror to reflect the light on to the image and the auto-focus sensor to provide a precise performance.
5. Fujifilm X-A3
- 24.2 megapixel image sensor
- Enhanced Autofocus settings
- Five mechanisms for facilitating “self-portraits”: rear LCD, ergonomic grip, vertical command dial, Eye Detection...
- Full HD video recording
It comes with a variety of new features that are normally not present in most of today’s camera. The price point and the feature play a fair game. The camera comes with a 24.2 megapixels CMOS sensor and the sensitivity of the ISO goes up to 25600. The camera offers video capturing at a resolution of 1080p with 60 frames per second. The LCD screen provides touch autofocus feature as well as the touch shoot feature. The built-in Wi-Fi provides a direct connection with mobile phones and printers. The camera uses a 77-point contrast-detection system. The camera comes with a relatively long battery that can capture more than 400 pictures in a single charge.
6. Panasonic Lumix GX85
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Panasonic Lumix Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-32mm Lens, Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO...
- DUAL IMAGE STABILIZATION: A new 5-Axis in-body sensor stabilizer works in tandem with LUMIX 2-Axis optically stabilized...
- FINE DETAIL PERFORMANCE: The GX85 eliminates the detail-depriving low-pass filter from the sensor. The result is a near...
- TURN 4K INTO PHOTOGRAPHY: 4K Ultra HD Video provides four times the resolution of HD Video. 4K PHOTO isolates video...
Panasonic Lumix GX85 comes with a Live MOS sensor with 16 Megapixels. The ultimate feature of this camera is the Ultra HD recording with 30 frames per second. The continuous shooting can go up to 10 frames per second with single-shot autofocus. The 5-axis stabilization cancels the camera shake and provides really stable output. If you are looking for a camera that has a sleek design and utmost performance, then this is the best choice in the market to make. The maximum shutter speed is about 1/4000 which is quite extraordinary at this price point. This enables the user to have wider aperture settings in bright conditions.
7. Canon EOS M50
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast, accurate autofocus that helps you get the photo you want right as the moment happens
- 241 Megapixel APS C CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 8 Image Processor delivers incredible color, clear details, and stunning...
- Vari angle touchscreen LCD has a flexible tilt range ideal for high angle and low angle shooting, and reviewing your...
- Built in high resolution electronic viewfinder features approximately 2,360,000 dots to see high amounts of detail when...
The 4K video recording at 24 frames per second is due to the sensor and the processor both. The camera goes exceptionally well in Full HD and HD video recording as it can capture 60 frames per second for 1080p video and 120 frames per second for a 720p video. Many cameras nowadays have a continuous shooting mechanism that allows them to capture a limited time period in slow motion with extraordinary capability. In Canon EOS M50’s case, 10 frames are recorded for continuous shooting. The dual pixel CMOS Autofocus allows fast focusing just like a camcorder. The camera is rated best for shooting and tracking the objects that are moving at a fast rate like cars and airplanes.
8. Olympus E-M10 Mark II
- Built-in 5 axis image stabilization for sharper images
- 2.3 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 0.62X magnification
- Silent mode (disables all shutter sounds)
- 8.5 frames per second burst shooting
It features a high resolution with 16 megapixels lives MOS sensors. The top sensitivity of the camera goes up to ISO 25600. There is also an electronic viewfinder and a 3 inches tilting screen present which can capture and display the captured images. Besides the great classical look an exceptional appeal of the camera, the main asset lies in the versatility of performance that other cameras lack. The camera has been remarkably suited for long exposure photography because of the Live Bulb and Live Time modes. 12-bit RAW images can be captured in a single burst with the total number of images being 22. A total of 36 JPEG images can be captured too in a similar model.
9. Sony A5100
- Ultra-fast auto focus with 179 AF points and 6Fps
- Capture life in high resolution with 24MP APS-C sensor.Lens compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Instant sharing via smartphone with Wi-Fi and NFC1
- Record Full HD 1080/24/60P video3 up to 50MB/s. Compatible OS - Windows Vista SP2-6, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows...
The 179 phase-detection point with 25 contrast detection delivers an accurate yet fast focusing capability. Continuous shooting mode captures 6 frames per second with the sensitivity of ISO 25600. The camera provides the convenience of capturing the everyday shooting. The 180 degrees tilting screen allows the user to capture selfies and touch focus. 5 types of focus mechanisms are available in this camera. One is single-shot AF, another one is Automatic AF, the third one is continuous AF, fourth is a direct manual focus and the last one is manual focus mode. The camera is noted worldwide because of this functionality.
10. Fujifilm XF10
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- 3.0-Inch” (Approx. 1, 040k-dot) Color LCD Touchscreen, aspect Ratio 3: 2
- Standard output Sensitivity of Iso200 - Iso12800. Extended output Sensitivity of Iso100 - Iso51200
- Bluetooth version 4.1 low energy technology
It is a digital camera from Fujifilm that comes with a 24 Megapixels CMOS sensor that features a fast lens and high sensitivity of ISO. The camera features some exceptional qualities like its size which can easily fit into the pocket. The depth and field control goes beyond another camera as it excels in low light situations because of the high ISO which can reach 51200. The camera also provides an option to record 4K Ultra HD video at about 15 frames per second. A majority of the buyer’s population prefer buying this camera because of the filters and simulations. Bluetooth connectivity provides old-school wireless communication by pairing it with a smart device.
11. Canon EOS M10
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Phase detection
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS C) Sensor
- Built in Wi Fi, NFC and Bluetooth
- Intuitive Touchscreen, 3.0 inch Tilt type LCD
Canon EOS M10 is a replacement for Canon EOS M2. The former provides 18 megapixels CMOS sensor with a 3 inches tilting LCD screen. The Wi-Fi and NFC are present for wireless connectivity just like any other modern tech camera. Canon’s mirrorless camera has been highly praised by the public. The 1080p video recording comes with 30 frames per second. The viewfinder is absent but an extension in ISO is observed. The ISO can go to a maximum of 25600. That makes low light movie capturing exceptionally easy. The camera has been praised very well by the selfie lovers as it captures some stunning selfies. The self-portrait mode helps the user to catch the incredible looking selfies. With the Canon Camera Connect application installed on the camera, it could be easily connected to any smartphone or tablet in the designated range.
12. Fujifilm X-T100
- 24.2 Megapixel APS C size sensor with Color Reproduction technology refined over 80 years; Artistic expression are made...
- Featuring super: fast autofocus and a variety of automatic functions, including an evolved SR plus auto mode which is...
- Compatible with existing XF/xc Lens lineup of 26 Fujinon high quality lenses which cover focal lengths from 15mm to...
- Features three way tilting LCD monitor with a high resolution and high magnification (0.62x) electronic viewfinder,...
For photography, it features a 24.2 megapixels CMOS sensor that is enhanced by the precise autofocus system. The SR+ Auto settings are enough to deliver an accurate depiction of a variety of scenes. The camera goes exceptionally well for those traveling enthusiasts which find viewfinder at their ease. The 3 inches LCD screen can go best for beginners who are not well familiar with the working of the viewfinder. The lithium-ion battery offers about 450 shots per its full charge.
Talking about videography, the camera is capable of recording about 59.94 frames per second for a Full HD 1080p video. It could also be used to capture stills at 24 frames per second. For continuous shooting, 6 frames per second shooting are maximum. The ISO range can go as low as 200 and as high as 12800 for ultra-dark scenarios.
13. Canon EOS M6
- 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor
- High-Speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF lock)
- Built-in Wi-Fi**, NFC*** and Bluetooth
Talking about video recording, Canon EOS M6 can go up to 60 frames per second while recording at a resolution of 1080p. For dark scenarios, the ISO can go up to 25600. For low light capturing, the ISO can go as low as 100. The 5-axis image stabilization can provide shake-free recording just by minimizing the camera shake. The large 3 inches screen can display exceptional quality images and videos at the capturing instance. It also enables multi-angle recording just like any other expensive camera. NFC and Wi-Fi make it a wireless connector with smartphones or tablets.
Old school Bluetooth is also present for devices that don’t have the functionality of Wi-Fi and NFC. However, the camera is not a full–frame camera.
Buying Guide to Best Mirrorless Camera under $500
Choosing a mirrorless camera under $500 can be a complex task because of the pros and cons of every other camera. From video capturing to sensor size, everything matters before making the purchase. Here we will try to cover all of them. Buying a camera under $500 would be an exciting experience for you, once you’ve gone through each and every detail of this buying guide.
The interchangeable lens is the only thing that is different in compact cameras and mirrorless cameras. If one has never used a camera that has this functionality, then the user would be quite amazed by the fact that how it will change your photography skills. For a mirrorless camera that is under $500, you will be able to found a decent size lens like the 18mm to 55mm. Make sure it features at least this. Some cameras under $300 also keep this size of the lens.
Mirrorless cameras come with various sensor sizes. And many individuals are confused, which one to consider while buying a mirrorless camera that is under the range of $500. Mirrorless cameras have a sensor size that lies in the middle of DSLRs and point-and-shoot cameras. Under the range of $500, a 17.3 x 13 mm sensor is quite common and you would be finding it a lot in Panasonic and Olympus’s manufactured mirrorless cameras. Both of these manufacturers use the Micro Four Thirds standard. When buying a camera that has the mentioned sensor, you should keep in mind that Panasonic has stabilization in its lens and in-camera stabilization is utilized by Olympus.
Larger sensors perform better in lower light and produce less image noise in photos taken with higher ISO sensitivities. If low-light photography is important to you, you might want to consider one of the full-frame mirrorless cameras, or at least one with an APS-C sized sensor. If you are more concerned with a smaller camera size and don’t require the best in low-light performance, a Micro Four Thirds camera might be a good fit for you. This is not to say that cameras with smaller sensors are not suitable for low-light shooting, rather, it is one of the main benefits of larger sensor sizes.
Another thing to consider when buying a mirrorless camera is the camera’s viewfinder. Viewfinder provides the exact view which the lens is seeing. Many mirrorless cameras use an electronic viewfinder. It is abbreviated as the EVF.
There are some benefits of the EVF. But there are some disadvantages too. EVF comes with lag time. It is the amount of time that is spent between actual movement and the display of the movement in the EVF. Expensive and up-to-date cameras have a low lag time. Little old cameras have a little high lag time. But you should always aim to buy a camera that has a little lag time.
EVF also consumes battery life. This is minimal, and usually not a huge concern, but just another thing to take into consideration. But if you wish to purchase a camera with a viewfinder, you should always go for that mirrorless camera that has longer battery life.
Just like DSLR cameras, which use phase detection to focus on a particular subject, the mirrorless camera uses contrast detection. Many Auto Focus technologies are found in these mirrorless cameras. Continuous Auto Focus and manual Auto Focus are common. Always buy a camera that utilizes both or even a single of them.
Video Recording Capability
One comes to video recording quality, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras come neck to neck. Videography enthusiasts will always prefer mirrorless cameras because of the flexibility of the lenses. When buying a mirrorless camera, always make sure that the camera you are buying can record a Full HD 1080p video at about 60 frames per second. Under the range of $500, you can get a camera that is capable of recording about 30 frames per second at a resolution of 4K Ultra HD.
The wireless capabilities that have been included in many of the mirrorless cameras on the market are truly incredible. Most cameras with Wi-Fi also have a partner app for either iOS or Android that allows you to control the camera from a smartphone or tablet.
Number of shots in a single charge
Battery life matters a lot when shooting with a mirrorless camera. Before buying the camera, you should always keep track of the total battery life. For a camera under $500, you will be easily able to get about 400 to 500 shots in a single charge. So, buy one that features at least this number of shots.