Best Nikon full-frame camera 2020: 10 advanced DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. The best full-frame DSLRs don’t have to cost a fortune. Here are the top choices for amateurs, enthusiasts and pros.
Modern full-frame digital cameras offer the best balance of image quality, autofocus performance, and burst speed-and they’re more affordable than ever before. If you’ve been thinking about upgrading, whether it be to an SLR, mirrorless, or fixed-lens model, we’ve got you covered with the best full-frame cameras we’ve reviewed.
The best full-frame DSLRs are a treasure trove of wonders for photographers of all stripes, from amateurs and enthusiasts right through to professionals. Coming at a range of price points, even entry-level, full-frame cameras have never been in better health, and it’s an ideal time to pick one up for yourself.
While it’s true that the very best full-frame mirrorless camera models are now competing with and in some cases surpassing the best DSLRs, the form factor and advantages of a DSLR mean that many photographers still prefer them. If you want to know more about the differences between the two, we have a DSLR vs mirrorless camera article that spells it all out.
Happily, camera manufacturers are showing no signs of breaking away from DSLRs, with new models arriving all the time. We’ve updated this list to include the fresh Nikon D780, the ground-breaking Nikon Z7 has been launched in time for the 2020 Olympics, and we’re currently hard at work testing the new Nikon D6, which will no doubt earn a spot on this list when we’re done.
You don’t have to get a full-frame DSLR of course. The launch of the brilliant Nikon D850 in 2019 proved that DSLRs with smaller sensors are very much alive and kicking, and we have a separate guide to the very best DSLR you can get right now if you’d like to take a broader perspective. Here, we’re concentrating on those with full-frame sensors.
When putting together this list we’ve weighed up all the different factors that users are likely to consider when choosing a camera, including price, so you can be confident you’re getting the best deal for your money. Read on as we count off the very best full-frame DSLRs you can buy right now…
1. Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Full-Frame
- New larger Z mount for revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon-designed 45.7MP backside Illuminated image sensor with no optical low pass filter (OLPF)
- 493-Point on-sensor phase detect AF system and up to 9 fps; Detection Range: -1 to +19 EV (-4 to +19 EV with low-light AF) Detection range (ISO 100, f/2.0 lens, 20 °C/68 °F)
2. Nikon D850 DSLR Full-Frame
- Nikon designed back side illuminated (BSI) full frame image sensor with no optical low pass filter
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually no risk of moiré
- Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
3. Nikon Z6 Mirrorless
- Large, full frame Z mount for Revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon-designed 24. 5MP backside illuminated image sensor
- 273-Point on-sensor Phase detect AF system
4. Nikon D780 DSLR
- The D780 features 24.5 MP resolution and robust EXPEED 6 image processing engine
- Capture full frame still images and 4K UHD video
- Wireless connectivity with the easy to use SnapBridge app
5. Nikon D810 DSLR Full-Frame
- 36.3 MP FX format CMOS sensor without an Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF)
- 30 percent faster Expeed 4 image processing engine. Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec
- 51point AF system and 3D color matrix metering III with a 91,000 pixel RGB sensor
6. Nikon D750 DSLR
- Full frame 243 megapixel CMOS image sensor and expeed 4 image processor
- Full HD 60/50/30/25/24p video
- Built in Wi-Fi connectivity and compatibility with the WT 5a + UT 1 communication unit
7. Nikon D610 DSLR
- 24.3MP full frame CMOS sensor
- 39 point AF system (9 cross type)
- ISO 100 6400 expandable up to 25,600
8. Nikon D6 Professional Full-Frame Camera
9. Nikon D5 Professional Full-Frame Camera
- 20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor
- 3.2" 2.36m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
Last update on 2020-10-21 / We may earn an affiliate commission