Best Point and shoot cameras take up the largest segment of the digital camera market and understandably. They offer an affordable and simple way to take great pictures. After all, you just need to press the shutter button to automatically adjust the aperture, shutter speed, light sensitivity and focus. Compared to digital DSLRs that offer interchangeable lens or mirrorless cameras, larger image sensors and more manual control, point and shoots can easily slip into a jeans pocket and are cheaper. With hundreds of models available on the market, knowing which is the best stage and shoot camera under 300 isn’t the easiest task. This post explores the factors to consider when making your purchase and reviews the best models to ease your search.
Best Point and Shoot Cameras in 2020 Under $300
1. Sony RX100
- Approximately 20.1 megapixels , Exmor CMOS Sensor, 28-100mm equivalent F/18-49 lens, ISO 125-6400 Expandable ISO 80,...
- Operating temperature:Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°).1080p video, Steady-Shot image stabilization,Rear control...
- Burst Mode (shots)-Approx10 fps,(VGA) Moving Image Size -640x480 30fps Approx3Mbps. Flash range:ISO Auto: approximately...
- Bright F18 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 36x zoom, Full HD 1080/60p video with manual control and dual record,...
The Sony DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (Black) features a 20.2 megapixel Exmor CMOS image sensor that excels in ultra low-light situations. It’s equipped with a brilliant f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T Lens with a focal length of 10.4-37.1mm (35mm equivalent: 28-100mm). It also has an integrated pop-up flash. You can record ultra high-definition still images in JPEG format, RAW format, or even both simultaneously. The camera also affords Full HD 1080p video capture at 60 frames per second (fps). Plus, it supports a full range of controls for video and still shooting that range from iAUTO to P/A/S/M (Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Concern and Manual).
2. Canon PowerShot SX740
- 40x optical zoom with optical image stabilizer and zoom framing assist
- 4K video and 4K time-lapse movie
- 20.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor
- High-speed continuous shooting
The PowerShot SX740 HS is an ultra-compact camera with a long 40x zoom lens. The optically stabilized lens has an equivalent focal length of 24-960mm and is paired with a 20.3MP BSI CMOS sensor and Canon’s DIGIC 8 processor. It has a 3″ LCD that can flip upward 180 degrees for self-portraits, a useful Zoom Framing Assist feature for recomposing at long focal lengths, 4K/30p video and time-lapses, plus Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
3. Panasonic Lumix FZ80
- Point and Shoot Long Zoom Camera: 18.1 megapixel MOS sensor plus 60X zooms DC Vario lens (20 1220 millimeter and Power...
- High Resolution View Finder & LCD Display: High resolution 1,170K dot view finder and rear touch enabled 3 inch LCD...
- 4K video Capture: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160) with three unique 4K ultra HD video pause and save 4K photo...
- Low Light Performance: Low light capture lets you enjoy photography during your nightlife again with impressive results;...
The Panasonic Lumix FZ80 brings 4K video and 4K Photo capabilities to the budget superzoom segment, combining the high-resolution video modes with its 20-1200mm equivalent (60X) zoom and 18.1MP 1/2.3″-type BSI-CMOS sensor. It also features a 1,040K-dot touch screen on the back, and a 0.2-inch 1,170K-dot (equivalent) EVF.
4. Panasonic Lumix ZS80
- LARGE SENSOR – 1/2. 3-inch 20. 3MP MOS high-resolution sensor provides improved low- light performance by...
- LEICA DC VARIO-ELMAR LENS - features an impressively sharp 24 millimeter ultra-wide angle 30x telephoto lens (35mm...
- POWER O. I. S. - Optical Image Stabilizer (O. I. S.) effectively compensates for hand shake to minimize blur during...
- 4K VIDEO - QFHD 4K video in 3840x2160 at 30p; Also via 4K PHOTO Mode to capture fleeting photo opportunities at 30 fps...
Panasonic Lumix DCZS80 is a pocketable workhorse comprising a versatile array of video and stills capabilities. Featuring a 20.3MP 1/2.3″ High-Sensitivity Live MOS sensor, the ZS80 realizes rich image quality with low noise and sensitivity to an extended ISO 6400 for working in difficult lighting conditions. The sensor and image processor also enable shooting continuously at up to 10 fps with single-shot AF, 30 fps at 8MP in 4K PHOTO modes, and UHD 4K video recording at 30p. Additionally, the 4K PHOTO modes allow you to produce stop-motion images, which combine sequential exposures into a single frame for a dynamic finished look.
5. Sony DSC-WX350
- 20x Optical/40x Clear Image Zoom G Lens
- Keep your subject in focus with Lock-On AF
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/ NFC3
- Motion Shot Video traces subject movement
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX350 Digital Camera is a compact zoom point-and-shoot that features an 18.2MP Exmor R CMOS sensor with a BIONZ X image processor for notable low-light performance, and a powerful 20x optical zoom lens with an additional 40x Clear Image Zoom. A 4.3-86mm f/3.5-6.5 lens, which has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 25-500mm, establishes the camera as having considerable wide-angle to the telephoto image capturing abilities. To view your images and high-resolution full HD 1080/60p AVCHD videos, there is a 3″ Clear Photo LCD 460k-dot monitor at the back.
6. Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70K
- 20. 3 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 30x Leica DC VARIO ELMAR lens (24 720mm), Plus 5 axis Hybrid O. I. S. (Optical image...
- 0. 2 Inch 1, 166k dot EVF (electronic view finder) with eye sensor for easier viewing under sunny outdoor conditions
- 4K QFHD video recording (3840x2160), Plus exclusive Lumix 4K PHOTO and 4K post focus with internal focus Stacking...
- Lens barrel mounted control ring enables quick, intuitive operation of important functions
The Lumix DC-ZS70 (TZ90 outside of North America) is a compact travel zoom with a 30X, 24-720mm equivalent lens. It sports a 20.3MP BSI CMOS sensor, the company’s latest Venus Engine processor, improved Depth-from-Defocus autofocus technology and 4K/UHD video recording. Photos can be composed on a new tilting 3″ touchscreen display or a 0.2″, 1.16M-dot equivalent electronic viewfinder. Support for Wi-Fi is also included.
7. Canon PowerShot Elph 180 / IXUS 185
- 8x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- 20.0 Megapixel CCD sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality
- 720p HD video capabilities. Focusing range: Normal: 2.0 inch - infinity (W), 4.3 feet (1.3 meter) - infinity (T)
- Smart auto intelligently selects the proper settings based on predefined shooting situations
What makes the IXUS 185 special? Its 8x optical zoom lens is arguably its main draw, as this allows you to home in on more distant subjects without the same loss of quality that you’d experience with many smartphones. And with a 35mm-equivalent wide-angle start of 28mm and a telephoto finish of 224mm, it effortlessly adapts itself to a multitude of scenes and subjects.
Aside from its optical prowess, the camera packs a 20MP sensor – more than enough for enlargements – that’s also capable of HD video capture, and it’s designed with even more physical controls than the average smartphone provides, logically placed in areas where fingers naturally fall. These include a zoom collar around the lens that lets you frame up your masterpieces with precision.
8. Panasonic Lumix ZS50
- 12. 1 Megapixel sensor delivers high resolution photos with fewer image artifacts
- 30x (24mm) LEICA DC Lens optical zoom performance is ideally suited for travel and everyday photography
- Enhanced low light sensitivity for improved sharpness even without a flash
- Built-in eye viewfinder eliminates outdoor glare on sunny days
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Digital Camera is a compact point-and-shoot digital camera featuring a 12.1MP High Sensitivity MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor to enable high-resolution still imaging and full HD 1080p video recording with noticeable low-light quality and sensitivity to an expandable ISO 6400. Fast performance is also afforded throughout the camera system, including the ability to record full-resolution imagery at up to 10 fps or 6 fps with continuous AF.
Complementing the imaging performance of the camera is the built-in Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x optical zoom lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm to suit working within a wide variety of situations. Aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements help to produce sharp, high contrast imagery and also work to minimize aberrations and distortion through the entire zoom range. Benefitting the extensive zooming capabilities of this lens is HYBRID O.I.S.+ image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake to better support working with greater zoom magnifications or longer shutter speeds.
9. Sony W800
- MP Super HAD CCD sensor for beautifully detailed images. Blink Detection
- Sony Lens w/ 5x Optical Zoom and 360 sweep panorama
- Reduced blur with SteadyShot Image stabilization.Recording Format:Still Images: JPEG , Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG)
- Capture your videos in 720p HD Movie mode
Sony DSC-W800 Digital Camera is a compact point and shoot that features 20.1 megapixels inside the 1/2.3″ Super HAD CCD sensor, and has a professional Sony 5x optical zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 26-130mm. A bright 2.7″ Clear Photo LCD 230k-dot monitor at the back allows you to clearly view your photos and high-quality 720p HD videos.
For more zoom, a 10x digital zoom function doubles the camera’s reach and Sony’s SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active mode compensates for camera shake to help provide clearer images with minimal blur and low noise, even while you stroll around. For shooting at an even wider angle, try the 360˚ Sweep Panorama, which allows you to press the shutter button and sweep your camera around to gather in your entire landscape and take many high-resolution pictures and automatically combine them into one photograph.
10. Olympus Tough TG-6
- Waterproof (50 feet /15 meter), dust proof, shockproof (7 feet / 2.1 meter), crush proof (100 kgf), freeze proof (14...
- High resolution F2.0 lens, maximum 8x zoom, true pic VIII, back illuminated CMOS image sensor
- Variable macro system comprised of 4 macro shooting modes, magnified shooting up to 1 centimeter from the end of the...
- 5 underwater shooting modes including underwater microscope, 3 underwater white balance modes
While the TG-6 packs some fun new features, they won’t warrant an upgrade if you already own the TG-5. However, if you have an older Tough or you’re looking for a camera that can go in the sea, get covered in sand, be dropped onto concrete, and still take pictures and video even in freezing temperatures, this is the best everything-proof camera out there.
11. Panasonic Lumix ZS100
- POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA: Large, 1-inch 20.1-megapixel MOS sensor plus 10X zoom LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens (25-250mm)...
- EYE-LEVEL ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER AND LCD DISPLAY: High-resolution 1,166k-dot viewfinder and rear touch-enabled 3-inch LCD...
- 4K VIDEO CAPTURE: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus with...
- LENS-MOUNTED CONTROL RING: Manual lens-mounted control ring brings DSLR-like exposure control to a compact...
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100 is an enthusiast travel zoom with a 1″-type BSI CMOS sensor and a 25-250mm equivalent lens. The camera has a very good photo and 4K video quality, a great autofocus system, and a plethora of genuinely useful ‘extras’, such as Post Focus. The main weakness of the camera is its mediocre electronic viewfinder, but it’s still better than not having one at all. Overall, though, the ZS100 is a top-notch travel zoom that’s not to be missed.
12. Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW810
- 20.1MP Super HAD CCD sensor for beautifully detailed images, Sony Lens w/ 6x Optical Zoom, Easy shooting in Party Mode
- Reduced blur with SteadyShot Image stabilization, Capture your videos in 720p HD Movie mode, Simplify camera menu with...
- Take stunning images in Sweep Panorama mode-up to 360 degrees, Smile Shutter technology automatically captures smiles,...
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W810 Digital Camera from Sony is a point and shoot that features a 20.1 megapixel 1/2.3″ Super HAD CCD sensor for considerable image quality and a professional Sony 6x optical zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 26-156mm providing you with a diverse wide-angle to the telephoto shooting range. A bright 2.7″ Clear Photo LCD 230k-dot monitor allows you to clearly view your photos and high-quality 720p HD videos.
For more zoom, a 12x digital zoom function doubles the camera’s reach and Sony’s SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode compensates for camera shake to help provide clearer images with minimal blur and low noise, even while you stroll around. For shooting at an even wider angle, try the 360˚ Sweep Panorama, which allows you to press the shutter button and sweep your camera around to gather in your entire landscape and take many high-resolution pictures and automatically combine them into one photograph.
13. Nikon B600
- 60x optical zoom, 120x Dynamic Fine Zoom
- 16 Megapixel low-light sensor
- Full HD 1080/60i (50i) videos with 4-Axis Hybrid VR and stereo audio
- 19 scene modes and 36 Creative effects
The 16-megapixel Nikon B600 offers a big 60x optical zoom lens, with an effective focal length of 24-1440mm. That’s enough telephoto power for serious close-ups of the blood moon this weekend for instance – or for shots of distant birds. As is the style with bridge cameras, there is a chunky grip to keep things steady – but at the far end of the zoom range, you will need some extra support from a tripod, say.
14. Sony DSCW830
- 20.1 Megapixel Plus 8x Zoom
- Optical Steady Shot image Stabilization with 2-way Active Mode
- 720p MP4 HD Movie Mode ; This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
- Panorama Shooting: 360 Sweep Panorama; Minimum Illumination: Auto: 22.0 lux Shutter Speed 1/30
Sony DSC-W830 Digital Camera from Sony is a pocket-sized point-and-shoot featuring a 20.1MP, 1/2.3″, Super HAD CCD image sensor and BIONZ processor for high-resolution still photos, HD 1280 x 720p video recording at 30 fps, and low-light sensitivity to ISO 3200. The 8x optical zoom, 4.5-36mm Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens offers a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-200mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives, and an aperture selection of f/3.3-6.3.
The camera is equipped with a 2.7″, 230k-dot Clear Photo LCD monitor providing sharp, natural colour that makes it easy to compose shots, read menus, and view photos, even in bright sunlight. Optical SteadyShot picture stabilization counteracts camera shake for clear, blur-free shots. Additionally, benefit from Sweep Panorama shooting up to 360°, allowing you to capture an entire landscape in a single shot.
15. Canon PowerShot ELPH 360
- 12x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos
- 20.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality even in low...
- 1080p HD video capabilities
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Digital Camera from Canon is a sleek point-and-shoot featuring a 20.2MP 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4+ image processor. The sensor and processor chip combination avails sensitivity to ISO 3200 and notable image quality, as well as 7.2 fps continuous shooting, to suit working in a variety of conditions, and, in addition to stills, also enables full HD 1080p video recording at 30 fps. A 12x optical zoom lens provides a 25-300mm equivalent focal length range and an Intelligent IS image stabilization system helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld imagery. For composing imagery and reviewing your photos and movies, a large 3.0″ 461k-dot LCD is featured on the back of the digital camera and built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to wirelessly share images to a linked smartphone or tablet. Additionally, the ELPH 360 HS also features a range of creative features for compiling videos and stills or producing creative works in-camera, including Hybrid Auto, Creative Shot, and Story Highlights.