Albeit the Canon EOS 5D Mark III now has a successor, it doesn’t mean it’s no longer capable of delivering superb images. In fact, many photographers in the world still choose the 5D Mark III as their go-to camera. It presents excellent quality images, and it is a DSLR that’s equipped with enhanced features as compared to other cameras on the market, especially when comparing it with its predecessor, the Canon 5D Mark II.
Professionals who specialize in outdoor and portrait photography marvel at the prowess of the Canon 5D Mark III. However, the standard 18 to 55-millimeter kit lens won’t get the job done in some shooting situations. For photographers who want more versatile optics as opposed to using the standard kit lens, then purchasing and using telephoto zoom lenses should be an ideal option to consider.
Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Canon 5D Mark III
|Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens||$2,199.00 $1,799.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras||$1,349.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras||$1,199.00 $1,099.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Sports DG OS HSM Lens for Canon||$1,798.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x||$10,999.00||Buy on Amazon|
With telephoto zoom lenses, you can take advantage of their long focal lengths to get as close to your subject as possible without having to be two feet away from them. If you want to enhance your sports, portrait, wildlife, or nature photography to the next level, then here are the best telephoto zoom lenses for your Canon 5D Mark III.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding
- Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension, Focal Length & Maximum Aperture:100-400mm 1:4.5-5.6, Closest Focusing Distance-3.2 ft. / 0.98m
- New Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting, Highly resistant to dust and water, and amazing durability enabling shooting even in harsh conditions
The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is one of the more compact telephoto zoom lenses on the market. However, do not underestimate its reasonably “petite” frame as it can deliver high-quality images with its high-performance operations. It is an ideal lens to have if you’re practicing wildlife or sports photography. It can even be a great option for shooting portraits.
Canon EF 100-400mm makes use of a rotation-type zoom function to allow for more accurate compositions, which is a challenge when using telephoto zoom lenses. Its construction also promotes excellent balance, so you won’t see yourself or your Canon 5D Mark III getting bogged down by its weight. This particular lens also makes use of an Air Sphere Coating (ASC) to reduce the chances of ghosting or backlit flaring significantly.
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
- Impressive focal range.Diagonal Angle of View 34° - 8° 15'
- Travel friendly size, packs small and stays small with a manual lock switch on side of barrel. Note: lens can only be locked at 70mm range as it is for travel only. Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
- Focus Adjustment Type - lens extension via inner focusing focus cam, plus floating mechanism.Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/ 3.9ft
- Note that when the inner lens is fully extended (300mm) it's approximately 8.25" in overall length. The 5.6" measurement is at the 70mm range when lens is closed/locked.
- Suitable for Nature/ landscape/ sports/ travel photography
The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM presents ultra high-quality images with its ability to focus as quick as possible. You can get images that are always “at the moment” when you’re making use of this lens. Also, just like with other high-end telephoto zoom lenses on the market, this unit has an Optical Image Stabilization feature that helps produces pin-sharp images, even if you have a bit of a shaky hand problem.
This lens also makes use of two Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) elements to help improve overall image quality, as well as remove chromatic aberration as much as possible. It also includes a floating focusing mechanism to bring sharp images if you’re focusing up close or to infinity. Also, it even has a welcoming feature that prevents erroneous operation whenever it’s set on a tripod or monopod.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
- 70-200mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture for Canon digital SLR cameras
- Fluorite UD lens elements produce excellent optical performance in resolution and contrast, Closest focusing distance : 3.94 feet, Focal length: 70-200mm
- Ring-type ultra-sonic monitor (USM) for quick and quiet autofocusing; lightweight construction
- Image Stabilizer provides up to 4 stops of shake correction; water- and dust-proof construction
- Measures 3 inches in diameter and 6.8 inches long; Weight : 1.675 pounds (lens only) ; 1-year warranty
The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a lightweight lens, and it is something that’s not generally seen in telephoto zoom lenses on the market. It also features compact construction, so it doesn’t take up too much space inside your camera bag. It also brings an OIS feature with its mix of features, and it also has four stops of image stabilization correction to produce sharp images even if you’re zooming in all the way.
This lens helps you capture all the action inside a sports arena, or perhaps get up close and intimate with wildlife even if the animals don’t notice you. Other features include its f/4 maximum aperture, the use of a ring-type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) for fast and reasonably silent auto-focusing, and its compatibility with circular polarizing features.
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports
- Maximum Aperture Range: f/3.5-6.3
- One SLD and Four FLD Elements
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Hyper Sonic Motor AF System
- Optical Stabilization
The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports is designed to meet the requirements of many demanding shooting situations, especially when it comes to sports photography. It boasts 2 FLD glass elements, as well as 4 SLD glass elements. With these factors, it helps you produce incredibly sharp images across the frame. Also, it also assists in producing sharp photos of your main subjects for its entire zoom range.
It is considered to be an exemplary option when choosing excellent telephoto zoom lenses for your Canon 5D Mark III as it can appropriately deal with chromatic aberration. It is even dust and splash proof to ensure optimum levels of durability. As with other high-end lenses on the market, it also features an OIS functionality for improved image taking prowess.
Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS with 1.4x Extender
- High performance L-series super-telephoto zoom with built-in 1.4x extender (280-560mm, f/5.6) makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- One fluorite and four UD lens elements provide excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, delivering high-quality images with high resolution and contrast
- Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed stops of correction.
- Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide excellent results for a wide range of shooting situations
The Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS with 1.4x Extender helps meet the demands of sports and wildlife photographers, but it’s not just limited to those types of photography. It can even aid the portrait photographer, or perhaps an investigator who needs to take photos of their suspects from a far off distance.
It joins the ranks of excellent telephoto zoom lenses on the market for the Canon 5D Mark III with its great mix of features. Its closest focusing distance is 6.6 feet, and its built-in OIS feature makes it a boon for still photographers and videographers alike. It even has three image stabilization modes, them being standard, panning, and exposure only. It presents superb color balance and contrast, no matter what type of photography you’re practicing.
If you make use of a Canon 5D Mark III and would want to get “up close and personal” with your subject without invading their personal space, then choosing the best telephoto zoom lenses can help appease your hunger for excellent photos. With such a lens as part of your arsenal, you can deliver sharp images of your main subjects, even if you’re relatively far away from them.
- Best Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Macro Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Standard Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Standard Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Telephoto Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Best Travel and Portrait Lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mark III