Travel and walkaround lenses are a tricky bunch because they need to have a good balance of letting you take wide-angle shots and portraits with a swift motion. As such, telephoto zoom lenses make great travel and walkaround lenses as compared to using prime lenses. However, it doesn’t mean that prime lenses aren’t great to travel and walkaround lenses either.
It does get confusing, but it all boils down to preference. Even if you’re using a Canon 5Ds or a 5Ds R (which can help you deliver stunningly gorgeous photos of your travels), you need to ask yourself if you want a telephoto zoom lens or a prime lens.
Let’s start with the telephoto zoom lenses; these travel and walkaround lenses help you get wide-angle and telephoto shots by simply adjusting the focal length. However, prime lenses for walking and traveling are known for their large apertures. Photographers know that the larger the maximum aperture of the lens, the more light can pass through it. As such, prime lenses are better for dimly lit situations.
Best Travel Lenses for Canon 5Ds, 5Ds R
|Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens||$1,899.00 $1,599.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens||$1,799.00 $1,699.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras - Fixed||$399.00 $349.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens for Canon||$1,199.00 $729.00||Buy on Amazon|
Here are the best travel and walkaround lenses for the Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R if you’re already perusing around the market in hopes to purchase the next lens to add to your camera bag.
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens
- 24-70mm focal length, 38.4-112mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F2.8 constant maximum aperture; F22 minimum, Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- 82mm filters, Closest Focusing Distance: 0.38m/1.25 ft.
- Image Stabilization : No. Focus Adjustment- Inner-focusing with USM. Diagonal Angle of View- 84° - 34°. Weight-1.7 pound
- Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible.
The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM helps you meet the demands of the changes happening around you as you travel and walk around. It is one of the travel and walkaround lenses you can purchase that’s also a telephoto zoom variant. Hence, you don’t have to worry about zooming in and out with the use of your feet as you can just change the focal length of the lens instead.
Aside from it being a telephoto zoom lens, it also provides stunning performance and durable build quality. You can use it for quick portraits or for taking photos of landmarks and sceneries. Use it with your Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R, and you can shoot images with plenty of detail.
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 35mm f/1.4
- Subwavelength Coating (SWC) helps significantly reduce lens ghosting and flare.Lens Construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
- Diagonal Angle of View: 63°
- Focus Adjustment: AF with full-time manual
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.92 ft./0.28m. Increased maximum magnification (0.21x) help expand the range of expression, especially when capturing close-up subjects
As mentioned in a previous section, travel and walkaround lenses can either be a telephoto zoom lens or a prime lens and the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM can be found in the latter category. This prime lens has a 35-millimeter focal length that’s wide enough to get a lot of the scenery into the shot, yet it doesn’t offer too much distortion so you can still get many great portrait images out of it.
When paired with your Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R, images are going to be full of detail with just the right amount of color balance and contrast. This lens is also weather sealed, and it is also dust resistant. It is a fast, elegant-looking, and versatile lens that you ought to consider putting inside your camera bag.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens
- Standard focal length 50mm lens is effective in a multitude of shooting situations and ideal for day-to-day shooting
- Elements/Groups: 7/6; Diaphragm: Blades 8; Filter Thread: Font 58mm
- An f/1.4 maximum aperture provides clear imaging in low light situations and shallow depth of field
- Ultrasonic autofocus motor (USM) operation is fast, smooth and virtually silent
- Two high-refraction lens elements and new Gaussian optics eliminate astigmatism and suppress astigmatic difference
If you’re a casual or professional photographer that likes to take a lot of photos with your Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R while you’re traveling or walking around town, then consider the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM as part of your arsenal. This particular lens features a reasonably close focusing distance of 1.5-feet, and it also makes use of a Micro Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) for fast and quiet auto-focusing.
When you shoot with this lens at wide open, you’re going to get stunningly beautiful images as your main subjects are as sharp as you want them to be while the background becomes a smooth, creamy blur. However, if you’re going to take photos of a group of people, it is suggested to switch to other travel and walkaround lenses with a wider field of view.
Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens
- High speed with large aperture
- HSM (Hypersonic motor) and inner focusing system
- Accessories include: Lens Hood (LH730-03), carrying case
- 35 MM Focal length, Lens not zoomable
- 67mm filters
The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art is designed to work well with full-frame cameras, like the Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R. It is also the first lens to be introduced in the brand’s Art lineup. This prime lens has a staple focal length of 35-millimeters, which is just enough to get decent wide-angle shots or flattering portrait images.
It also makes use of a Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) so that focusing is quick, accurate, and as quiet as it can be. When shooting with its maximum aperture of f/1.4, backgrounds become as smooth as they can be while your main subjects remain in focus. If you’re looking for third-party travel and walkaround lenses for your Canon 5Ds or 5Ds R, definitely consider this particular model.
- Best Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds / 5Ds R
- Best Portrait Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds
- Best Telephoto Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Standard Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Macro Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Travel and Walkaround Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Standard Prime Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
- Best Wide-angle Zoom Lenses for Canon EOS 5Ds, 5Ds R
Quality travel and walkaround lenses help you in remembering your travels and vacation spots. These lenses bring plenty of detail, especially if you use these lenses with a Canon EOS 5Ds or 5Ds R. With the right lens, landmarks and sceneries will be full of rich detail while portrait images can produce the emotion you want the photograph to portray.
Let this post be your guide to search for the right travel and walkaround lenses to add to your camera bag. You might even consider getting one of the lenses mentioned in this list.