Searching for the best vlogging camera you can buy? We’ve tested the very best options for everyday videographers and ranked them in the list below, focusing on cameras suited to those who like to shoot as they travel. If you’re more interested in finding the best YouTube camera, check out our dedicated guide for that.
The best cameras for vlogging comes in every shape and size. Is smaller better? Well, if you’re not based in a studio then having a compact setup that stows easily in your backpack, and can be stuck on a Gorillapod for those walking-and-talking-to-camera shots, then size definitely matters. If your vlogs are all done on a tripod indoors, though, after that it’s less important.
For our money, overall, Mirrorless cameras offer the best content creating a combination of control, quality and versatility – and mirrorless cameras often come with in-body image stabilization, a real game-changer for all those walking photos or capturing smooth B-roll without a gimbal. That said, you can get great video with a DSLR or a compact camera – and the best camera phones offer brilliant fire-and-forget 4K video.
Vlogging has become so popular that camera manufacturers are starting to make cameras specifically designed for the task. That’s what makes the Sony ZV-1 the best vlogging digital camera currently available, combining 4K video and an excellent built-in microphone with beginner-friendly controls in a compact package. Whether your goal is to create a personal visual journal, stay in touch with family, or reach your YouTube following, the ZV-1 is an easy recommendation for vloggers.
While you could just vlog with your phone, opting for a dedicated camera comes with numerous advantages, from expandable storage to higher-quality video and better support for external microphones. Out of the box, the ZV-1 has everything you need to get started at a relatively affordable price, but that doesn’t mean other cameras won’t offer more for those who are willing to put in a bit more effort.
Best Vlogging Camera for Beginners in 2020
1. Sony ZV-1
- 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1" Exmor RS CMOS sensor w/ DRAM, Large aperture 24-70mm1 F1.8-2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens
- Fast Hybrid AF, Real Time Eye-AF3 and Real-time AF tracking
- Quickly switch between two modes of defocused background bokeh
The Sony ZV-1 is a purpose-built compact camera blending the proven imaging capabilities of the RX100-series platform with an updated physical design for more efficient content creation. Featuring a side flip-out 3.0″ touchscreen and a directional 3-capsule microphone that are perfect for front-facing recording, the ZV-1 also caters to this crowd with the Product Showcase Setting, Background Defocus function, Soft Skin Effect, and Face Priority Auto-Exposure.
2. Canon M50
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast, accurate autofocus that helps you get the photo you want right as the moment happens
- 241 Megapixel APS C CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 8 Image Processor delivers incredible color, clear details, and stunning range
- Vari angle Touchscreen LCD has a flexible tilt range ideal for high angle and low angle shooting, and reviewing your photos
Check Out: Canon M50 Lenses
Comprising a versatile feature-set to suit both stills and video applications, the Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera from Canon separates itself through the pack with UHD 4K video recording, a high-resolution electronic viewfinder, and improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Eye Detection AF. Utilizing a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 image processor, enhanced Auto Lighting Optimizer helps to ensure clean image quality with low noise, along with top 10 fps shooting rate and a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600, which can be extended to ISO 51200 for working in low-light conditions.
3. Sony A6600
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 102 400
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
Check Out: Best Sony A6600 Lenses
The Sony A6600’s larger APS-C sensor means better performance in low light and an even shallower depth of field for blurrier backgrounds compared to a compact camera like the ZV-1. It isn’t the best video camera outright, but it has one feature that makes it stand out for vloggers in comparison to competing mirrorless models: Real-Time Eye AF.
4. Panasonic Lumix G7
- 4K video Capture: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160) with three unique 4K ultra HD video pause and save 4K photo modes extracts individual high resolution Photos from 4K ultra HD video filmed...
- Intuitive Controls: Easily control aperture and shutter settings with the front and rear dials while making White balance and ISO adjustments on the fly; Assign favorite settings to any of the six...
- High Resolution Viewfinder & LCD Display: High resolution (2,360K dot) OLED live view finder and rear touch Enabled 3 inch tilt/swivel LCD display (1,040 dot) are clear even in bright sunlight....
Check Out: Best Panasonic Lumix G7 Lenses
The Lumix G7 may not be the newest model, but it still packs a punch when it comes to video and its age means it is now quite a bit cheaper than it once was. Like the higher-end Panasonic GH5, the G7 shoots 4K video from a Micro Four Thirds sensor and is compatible with the full range of Micro Four Thirds lenses. It also features a 180-degree tilt screen and a microphone jack. There’s no headphone jack, but the mic input is definitely the more important of the two.
5. Sony A6400
- Next Gen speed: experience the world’s fastest 0. 02 sec AF with real time AF and object tracking
- Enhanced subject capture: wide 425 Phase/ 425 contrast detection points over 84 percent of the sensor
- Fast & accurate: up to 11Fps continuous shooting at 24.2 MP raw with crisp, clear natural colors
Check Out: Best Sony A6400 Lenses
The Sony Alpha a6400 from Sony is an APS-C-format mirrorless camera that adopts many of the features normally reserved for their full-frame lineup. This includes an autofocus acquisition of 0.02 seconds, Real-time Eye AF and Real-time Tracking capabilities, high-speed shooting up to 11 fps and silent shooting around 8 fps, both with AF/AE tracking, an upgraded BIONZ X image processing engine, an LCD touchscreen that tilts 180° up and 74° down, UHD 4K movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, internal recording for time-lapse videos, and more.
6. Fujifilm X-A7
- New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Image Sensor uses Copper wiring construction to achieve premium image quality and advanced AF performance
- Large 3.5” 16: 9 wide Touchscreen LCD
- Compact and lightweight design weighing only 455G With the kit lens
Check Out: Best Fujifilm X-A7 lenses
The FujiFilm X-A7 is a sleek mirrorless camera capable of apt stills and video recording. Featuring a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor, the X-A7 is with the capacity of recording UHD 4K video at 29.97 fps and FHD video at 59.94 fps, as well as full-resolution continuous stills shooting at up to 6 fps. An updated sensor design incorporates a copper wiring construction to achieve reduced noise and improved image quality throughout the ISO 200-12800 range, and also afford enhanced autofocus performance using the hybrid AF system.
7. Canon EOS M6 Mark II
- High image quality with 32.5 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor,
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 14 fps with AF/AE tracking
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5, 481 manually selectable AF positions*, and eye AF Servo support
Check Out: Best Canon EOS M6 Mark II Lenses
Canon EOS M6 Mark II is a sleek mirrorless body with a range of features to suit multimedia applications. Its APS-C-sized 32.5MP CMOS sensor achieves enhanced image clarity, resolution, and dynamic range, along with adept sensitivity to ISO 25600 and low noise to match working in a variety of situations.
8. Sony RX100VA
- FASTER AUTOFOCUS: Shoot up to 24fps with 0.05s auto focus and wide 315 phase-detection AF points
- 20.1 MEGAPIXEL PHOTOS: The RX100V uses a stacked back illuminated CMOS sensor with BIONZ X processor
- RETRACTABLE VIEWFINDER: View & play back your photos with the RX1005 electronic OLED Tru-Finder
The Sony RX100 V is the company’s newest addition to its lineup of premium compact cameras. As with the previous two versions, it has a 1″-type sensor, 24-70mm equivalent F1.8-2.8 lens but gains 24fps burst shooting in both JPEG and Raw with full autofocus and auto-exposure, oversampled 4K video recording, and plenty more. In short, the RX100 V has an incredible amount of technology stuffed into an easily pocketable package – but despite major increases in performance, we find that some of its more peripheral qualities could still use some attention.
9. Nikon Z50
- Compact, lightweight and durably constructed mirrorless camera
- First DX-format mirrorless camera to use a large 55mm lens mount, offering advantages in high image quality and lowlight performance.
- 20.9 MP sensor with robust 4K UHD video features
Check Out: Best Nikon Z50 Lenses
The Nikon Z50 is a 20.9MP mirrorless camera: the first time the company has put an (unstabilized) APS-C sensor behind its new, larger ‘Z’ lens mount. The company says the camera is designed to attract a generation of users who don’t consider themselves to be photographers.
Alongside the camera, Nikon has announced two lenses designed for this sensor size: a 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 collapsible standard zoom and a 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 telephoto zoom – both with built-in image stabilization (which Nikon calls Vibration Reduction).
10. Panasonic DC-G9
- Professional photo and video performance 20.3-Megapixel (Plus 80-megapixel high-resolution Jpeg/raw in-camera image) micro Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter to confidently capture sharp...
- Rugged splash/freeze proof design Durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use out in the field and is freeze proof down to -10-degrees splash/dustproof construction with weather sealing on every...
- Class-leading dual image stabilization 5-axis Dual image stabilization corrects all lenses including classic lenses not equipped with O I S to eliminate Blur and nearly eliminate body and lens shake...
Check Out: Best Panasonic DC-G9 Lenses
Panasonic has taken a different approach to camera development with the stills-focused DC-G9 Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless Camera, which has a variety of newly developed functions and features that will appeal to photographers. Central to the imaging process is the combination of a 20.3MP Live MOS sensor and the latest Venus Engine processor, enabling the capture of sharp images and video with sensitivities ranging up to ISO 25600. Extremely fast speeds are also made available with around 60 fps continuous shooting with the electronic shutter function. If you want to shoot video along with stills the G9 is very accommodating, offering UHD 4K at up to 60p.
11. GoPro Hero 8 Black
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization – On, High and Boost. Get the widest views, or boost to the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Works with all resolutions...
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap mounts quickly. A new side door makes changing batteries even faster, and the lens is now 2x...
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined with our HERO8 Black mods (sold separately). Media Mod gives you shotgun-mic performance and lets you...
The versatile next-generation action cam designed to capture smooth, stable footage of your latest adventure, from a simple boat trip to a wild jump-off-a-mountain ride. The HERO8 Black features updated HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization to produce smooth, gimbal-like movement at all supported frame rates, without the need for a gimbal.
12. Panasonic Lumix GX85
- Fine Detail Performance:16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter resulting in a near 10 percent boost in fine detail resolving power over existing 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds...
- Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera Kit: With two super compact lenses 12 32mm F3.5 5.6 and 45 150mm F4.0 5.6, shoot lighter and faster with the modern hybrid photography performance of a...
- Live Viewfinder and Tilting LCD Display: Integrated eye level electronic viewfinder (2764K dots) and rear touch enabled 3 inch LCD display (1040K dots) provides 80 degrees of up tilt and 45 degrees of...
Check Out: Best Panasonic Lumix GX85 Lenses
Lumix DMC-GX85 from Panasonic features a compact build and intuitive layout, along with a feature-set to suit a multimedia lifestyle. Utilizing a 16MP Live MOS sensor, which lacks an optical low-pass filter for increased sharpness, the GX85 is capable of shooting continuously at up to 10 fps with single-shot autofocus, or 6 fps with continuous autofocus, as well as around 40 fps when using an electronic shutter function. UHD 4K video recording is also supported in 30 and 24 fps frame rates, and also Full HD 1080p, and the 4K recording abilities also permit shooting 8MP stills at a 30 fps rate.
13. GoPro Hero 7
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
The GoPro HERO7 is designed to capture super-smooth footage of your latest, greatest, not-so-serene adventures. The HERO7 Black’s HyperSmooth stabilization produces a gimbal-like flow without the added bulk of a gimbal. Camera updates include direct streaming to Facebook Live, an intelligent still photo mode, and stabilized time-lapse video. A vertical portrait setting enables you to add social media-style movie and stills to your Instagram and other accounts.
14. Panasonic Lumix G100
- NEXT-LEVEL VLOGGING IS HERE: The G100 4K vlogging camera has the superior performance and portability, designed especially for content creators. Shoot, transfer, edit, and upload—in sparkling video...
- FEATURES FOR BEGINNERS AND EXPERTS: Intuitive, lightweight camera is packed with features to make content creation easy to learn and cultivate, from a Frame Marker to V-LogL recording
- ADVANCED OZO AUDIO WITH TRACKING: Audio tracking auto-adjusts the recording range and direction to record clearly in crowds, and during interviews, speeches, and selfies
Check Out: Best Panasonic Lumix DC-G100
The Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 is a mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera with a specialized feature-set for multimedia content creators. With a 3.0″ touchscreen LCD with free-angle tilting for easy selfie framing, 4K video recording, and optimized OZO audio by Nokia, the G100 also has a compact, bring-anywhere design for a travelogue and on-the-go shooting.