Canon’s 5D series has been a major player in the high-end DSLR market for more than a decade. With the 5D Mark IV, it brings a wealth of features for the modern photographer. Photographers can take advantage of its 30.4-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, its fast dual Digic 6 and Digic 6+ processors, a 7-frames-per-second continuous shooting mode, a 61-point Auto Focus (AF) system, and other amazing functionalities.
When paired with wide-angle prime lenses, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV becomes a boon for landscape photographers everywhere. With the camera’s impressive way of handling photos and the balance that quality wide-angle prime lenses bring, you’re going to deliver stunningly gorgeous images of cityscapes, vast seas, and other beautiful landscapes.
However, when you take a look at the market for excellent wide-angle prime lenses, you’ll be brought to a broad range of choices. As such, before you can even decide which lens to purchase to add to your growing list of gears inside your camera bag, you still have to deal with many hours of research as you plow through multiple websites for a sufficient amount of information about a particular lens.
Best Wide-angle Prime Lenses for Canon 5D Mark IV
But before you decide on spending time and effort on the Internet to research, we’ve already listed the best wide-angle prime lenses for the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in this post. Who knows, one of the lenses listed here might even be the next one you buy.
1. Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
- Lens construction is 14 elements in 11 groups
- Focal length is 14mm, maximum aperture is 1:2.8 and has gel filter holder at rear of lens
- Closest focusing distance is 7.9 inches
- Diagonal angle of view is 114° (on full-frame cameras)
- Dust and moisture proof built in lens hood
The Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM is classified as one of the most outstanding wide-angle prime lenses on the market, and with good reasons. It is a “rectilinear” wide-angle lens, which means that the vertical and horizontal lines in the photography will remain straight as opposed to using other wide-angle prime lenses with the same focal length. Therefore, there is minimal to no distortion in images.
As for the lens itself, it presents excellent build quality that even its lens hood is made out of metal. It should also be noted that the tulip-style lens hood is permanently mounted on the front element of the lens. It also means that it has no front filter threads, which is already pretty much apparent for many ultra wide-angle prime lenses on the market.
2. Zeiss Milvus 21mm f/2.8 ZE
- Front Lens Cap
- Rear Lens Cap
- Lens Hood
- Limited 2-Year Warranty
Unlike many other wide-angle prime lenses on the market, the Zeiss Milvus 21mm f/2.8 ZE doesn’t have a built-in motor. In other words, this is a fully manual lens. Nonetheless, you can still rely on your Canon 5D Mark IV’s focus motor if you still want to use auto-focusing while shooting.
Despite the lack of an internal focus motor, this lens can still do wonders for your landscape photography. In fact, it even excels in some parameters when comparing it to other lower quality wide-angle prime lenses on the market. It makes use of a Distagon design to handle distortion well, and saying the images are “tack sharp” is an understatement.
3. Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift
- Tilt and shift lens compatible with all Canon EOS cameras; ultra wide 17mm focal length
- High-precision lens elements for low distortion and high resolution; +/- 6.5 degrees Tilt and +/-12mm Shift
- Aspherical and UD lens elements minimize chromatic aberration
- Circular aperture for creative, blurred highlights
- Floating internal focus mechanism delivers high-image quality throughout focus range
When comparing the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift to some other wide-angle prime lenses on the market, it excels in the sharpness criteria. It also handles chromatic aberration better than lower quality lenses on the market. It also makes use of its wide focal length so you can get more in your shot, which is great if you’re using your photography skills to take photos of interiors, landscapes, and wide sceneries.
If you’re considering on purchasing this lens, take note that the front element has a bulbous nature. Hence, attaching filters can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. It can also take great tilt-shift photos, which is great if you’re into that style of photography. Using this lens to take tilt-shift images produces great levels of blur on the upper and lower portions of the picture while the center remains superbly sharp.
4. Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
- Lens not zoomable
- Minimum focus Distance is 0.8ft
- Focal Length -24 mm
- Diagonal angle of view: 84°
If you’re into street or landscape photography, then consider adding the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM to your camera bag. It is considered to be a part of the most excellent wide-angle prime lenses on the market, especially for day-to-day use. You can get really close to your subject with its short minimum focusing distance, and it is also solidly built.
Using it will full-frame cameras, such as the Canon 5D Mark IV, will produce a slight vignette around the corners. Nonetheless, the vignette is evenly placed, and it is naturally done that you might not even be bothered by it. Using its focus ring is also an absolute charm as it is very smooth and it has a very decent amount of throw in it.
Wide-angle prime lenses are plenty, and it can be a tough task to deal with if you’re planning on purchasing one for your Canon 5D Mark IV. Let this post be your guide to help you arrive at a sound decision on which lens to select to add to your growing list of wide-angle prime lenses.
Read More :
- Best Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Telephoto Zoom Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Macro Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Wide-Angle Prime Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Travel And Walkaround Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Standard Prime Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Portrait Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Wide-Angle Zoom Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Standard Zoom Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Best Telephoto Prime Lenses For Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
The lenses listed here are found to be placed at the top of their class because of their construction, design, quality, and performance.With a high quality wide-angle prime lens, you can enhance your landscape photography skills even further.