The Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is an adjustable wide-angle zoom lens that was created specifically for mirrorless cameras that use the Nikon Z mount. The focal lengths span from 14 millimeters to 30 millimeters, making it an excellent choice for shooting landscapes, architectural subjects, and interiors.
The fact that the lens is a member of Nikon’s S-line indicates that it possesses high optical performance as well as excellent construction quality. Because of its small size and low weight, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is a perfect choice for photographers who want to maximize their portability without compromising the ability to capture a broad field of view.
- Focal Length: 14-30mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Lens Mount: Nikon Z-mount
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 12 groups
- Special Elements: 4 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) elements, 4 aspherical elements
- Nano Crystal Coat: Reduces flare and ghosting
- Autofocus: Stepping Motor (STM) for fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus
- Image Stabilization: Relies on in-body image stabilization (IBIS) of compatible Nikon Z cameras
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.28 meters (0.92 feet)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.16x
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Weather Sealing: Dust and moisture resistance
- Size: Length of approximately 85mm (3.35 inches)
- Weight: Approximately 485 grams (17.1 ounces)
Outstanding performance is delivered by the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens, which is capable of taking photos that are crisp and detailed over the full focal length range. Its sophisticated optical design incorporates both four components made of Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass and four elements made of aspherical glass, which work together to reduce chromatic aberrations, distortions, and spherical aberrations efficiently.
Additionally, the lens is coated with Nikon’s Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings, which work to reduce ghosting and flare, even in difficult lighting circumstances.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens features an autofocus technology that is both quick and precise, allowing it to achieve fine focusing in a variety of different shooting scenarios. A multi-focus system that makes use of multiple AF actuators helps it accomplish speedy and silent autofocus performance.
This system also incorporates a multi-focus system. In addition, the lens has a control ring that can be programmed to handle any one of a number of different camera settings. This allows the user to quickly and easily access critical functions while they are shooting.
Because it has Nikon’s Vibration Reduction (VR) technology, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens enables photographers to take clear pictures even while working in low-light environments using just their hands.
As a consequence of the VR system’s ability to adjust for camera shake, the resulting images are crisper, and in many instances, a tripod is no longer required. This function is beneficial for photographers who are photographing landscapes or architectural interiors, both of which are environments in which it may not be possible to utilize a tripod.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens has an impressive build quality, with a weather-sealed design that protects against dust and moisture. It also has a maximum aperture of f/4. For photographers who often work under challenging conditions, the lens barrel’s construction from high-quality materials ensures both longevity and dependability.
The lens has a design that allows it to retract when it is not in use, making it more compact when it is not in use and making it simpler to carry and store in a camera bag when it is not in use.
Handling and Ergonomics
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens features an ergonomic design that makes it pleasant to hold for extended periods of time during shooting sessions. Both the zoom and focus rings have enough damping, which allows for smooth and accurate control over the focal length and focus changes.
The lens also has a programmable control ring that can be adjusted to modify the aperture, exposure compensation, or ISO. This gives photographers the ability to personalize the lens to their preferred method of photography.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens contains Nikon’s in-body image stabilization (IBIS) system, which, when combined with the VR technology included in the lens, delivers improved performance in terms of image stabilization.
This combination makes it possible for photographers to get clear photos even while using shorter shutter speeds, which helps to reduce the amount of blur caused by camera shakes. The IBIS technology offers stabilizing benefits when the lens is used in conjunction with other Z-mount lenses that do not provide stabilization, which expands the lens’s versatility.
With its flexible focal length range and user-friendly features, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens makes photography a joyous experience. Photographers will have an easier time capturing broad vistas, magnificent architecture, and deep interiors with this feature.
Because of its small form factor and lightweight construction, this lens is an excellent option for trip photography as well as general-purpose photography. This enables photographers to realize their creative potential without being hindered by cumbersome equipment.
When it comes to the quality of the images it creates, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens produces outstanding results. Images created by the lens have remarkable sharpness and clarity, and they capture even the most minute details with pinpoint accuracy.
Because of the sophisticated optical design, distortions, aberrations, and flare are reduced to an absolute minimum, enabling photographers to capture subjects in a manner that is both realistic and true to life. Whether you’re photographing expansive landscapes or intricate details up close, the lens dependably produces images of exceptional quality.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is compatible with Nikon’s teleconverter TC-14E III. This teleconverter multiplies the focal length of the lens by 1.4, resulting in a longer focal length. This compatibility gives photographers added freedom, enabling them to reach greater distances or accomplish tighter framing without losing image quality.
Photographers may also achieve both of these goals without having to switch lenses. The focusing capabilities of the lens are preserved by the teleconverter, as is the lens’s stellar optical performance; this helps to ensure that the captured images are crisp and detailed.
Comparison with Competitors
When compared to other lenses in its class, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens distinguishes out because of its diminutive dimensions, lightweight construction, and superior picture quality. The lens has a broad focal length range, which, when paired with its sophisticated optical components, results in exceptional clarity and a reduction in aberrations over the entirety of its zoom range.
Its structure is weather-sealed, and it has a quality that is both sturdy and well-built, giving it an advantage in terms of both longevity and dependability. In addition, the lens’s compatibility with Nikon’s teleconverter adds another layer of adaptability to it, allowing photographers to get a more extended reach whenever it’s required.
|Focal Length Range||14 – 30mm|
|Maximum Angle of View (DX-format)||90°|
|Minimum Angle of View (DX-format)||50°|
|Maximum Angle of View (FX-format)||114°|
|Minimum Angle of View (FX-format)||72°|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||0.16x|
|Nano Crystal Coat||Yes|
|ED Glass Elements||4|
|Super Integrated Coating||Yes|
|AF Actuator||STM (stepping motor)|
|Minimum Focus Distance||11 in. (0.28m) from focal plane at all zoom positions|
|Focus Mode||Autofocus, Manual|
|Accepts Filter Type||Screw-in|
|Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)||3.5 in. (89 mm) x 3.3 in. (85 mm)|
|Distance from camera lens mount flange when lens is retracted (Based on CIPA guidelines)||–|
|Approx. Weight (Based on CIPA guidelines)||17.1 oz. (485 g)|
Pros and Cons:
- Optics of the Highest Clarity: The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is created with superior optical technology, which enables it to produce outstanding picture clarity and sharpness across its entire focus range. Because the lens was designed specifically for Nikon Z mirrorless cameras, its performance, and compatibility have been improved significantly.
- Broad Field of View: This lens has a focal length range of 14-30mm, which gives it the ability to capture a broad field of view. As a result, it is an excellent choice for photographing interiors, landscapes, and buildings. It enables you to capture expansive views and incorporate more items in your frame than you could with a standard camera.
- Meant to be Highly Portable and Convenient to Take Around The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is intended to be highly portable and convenient to take around since it is compact and lightweight. It is an excellent choice for situations requiring mobility, such as travel and photography in the great outdoors.
- Construction That Is Weather-Sealed The lens has a structure that is weather-sealed, which protects it from dust, moisture, and extreme weather conditions. Because of this feature, you won’t need to worry about the lens being damaged when you use it in a variety of different environments.
- Built-in Vibration Reduction (VR): The lens has Nikon’s Vibration Reduction (VR) technology incorporated into it. This technology helps decrease camera shake and enables crisper handheld images, especially in low-light conditions. Because of this function, it is possible to take pictures without the use of a tripod in a variety of different situations.
- The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens features a maximum aperture that remains constant over the entirety of its zoom range. This full aperture is set at f/4. Even though f/4 is still regarded as a wide gap, it is possible that it is not as well suited for shooting in low-light conditions or for obtaining a shallow depth of focus when compared to lenses that have greater maximum apertures.
- Because of the lens’s form and the bulbous front element, it does not feature the usual filter threads that are often found on lenses. Because of this, the use of typical screw-on filters like polarizers and neutral density filters may be restricted. This limitation can, however, be circumvented by the utilization of a filter adapter of your choosing.
- The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens has a premium price tag since it is a high-quality lens that was created exclusively for Nikon Z mirrorless cameras. In comparison to specific older DSLR lenses or third-party solutions, it is more costly. It’s possible that some photographers’ budgets won’t allow them to afford it.
- The lens has a fixed focal length range of 14-30mm, which may be restrictive for individuals who prefer a more considerable zoom range or higher telephoto capabilities. Additionally, the lens does not have a variable focal length range. You might need to switch to a different lens if you frequently photograph subjects that are at a greater distance from you or if you want extra reach.
- Distortion and Vignetting: Despite the fact that the lens provides a good picture quality, there is a possibility that it will display slight distortion and vignetting when used at wider focal lengths. Even though this is a frequent trait of wide-angle lenses and it is something that can be fixed in post-processing, it is something that you should still be aware of when you are using this lens.
Price and Availability
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens has a price that is comparable to other options within its range, making it an excellent buy considering the capabilities and features it delivers.
It may be purchased from approved merchants that sell Nikon products, including those who sell online. It is possible that the availability of the lens will change from place to region, but in general, it is readily available to photographers who are interested in improving their wide-angle skills.
For Nikon Z-mount mirrorless camera users who are looking for a flexible wide-angle zoom lens, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is an excellent option to consider. It excels in a variety of shooting circumstances, from landscape photography to interior architectural photography, because of its superb picture quality, compact and lightweight design, and durable build quality.
The focusing mechanism, vibration reduction, and compatibility with teleconverters found on the lens all contribute to further increasing its use and broadening the creative possibilities it offers. The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens has remarkable performance and offers good value for photographers who prefer mobility without compromising image quality. This is because the lens has a maximum aperture of f/4 rather than f/2.8 or f/2.8.
Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S FAQs
Q. What is the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens, and what makes it unique?
A. The Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens designed for Nikon Z-series mirrorless cameras. It offers a versatile focal length range of 14-30mm, making it ideal for landscape, architectural, and interior photography. One of its standout features is its compact and lightweight design, making it highly portable for travel photographers. Additionally, it has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, which allows for consistent exposure settings throughout the zoom range.
Q. What is the lens construction and image quality of the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S?
A. The Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is constructed with 14 elements in 12 groups, including four Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) elements and four aspherical elements. This optical design helps to minimize chromatic and spherical aberrations, as well as distortion, resulting in high-resolution, sharp images with accurate colors and minimal distortions. The lens also features Nikon’s Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings to reduce flare and ghosting.
Q. Does the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens have image stabilization?
A. Yes, the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is equipped with built-in optical image stabilization (Vibration Reduction or VR). This feature helps to compensate for camera shake and allows for sharper handheld shots, especially in low-light conditions or when using slower shutter speeds.
Q. Is the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens weather-sealed?
A. Yes, the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens is weather-sealed to provide dust and moisture resistance. This makes it suitable for shooting in challenging environmental conditions, allowing photographers to capture images in various weather conditions without worrying about damaging the lens.
Q. What filter size does the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens use?
A. The Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens has a built-in filter holder at the front of the lens barrel. It accepts custom screw-in filters (filter adapter required) with a filter diameter of 82mm. This feature allows photographers to conveniently use polarizing filters, neutral density filters, or other creative filters to enhance their images.