The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is a beautiful addition to the range of Nikon’s Z series lenses. It was created to suit the expectations of professional photographers as well as photography amateurs. This lens delivers excellent performance, adaptability, and image quality because of its wide-angle focal range and fast aperture.
It doesn’t matter if you’re photographing landscapes, architecture, or astrophotography; the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is designed to provide exceptional results in a wide variety of difficult shooting conditions. In order to comprehend why it is such a fascinating option for photographers, let’s investigate the qualities and capabilities that it possesses.
- Focal Length: 14-24mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Lens Mount: Nikon Z-mount
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups (including 4 Extra-low Dispersion and 3 aspherical elements)
- Autofocus: Multi-focus system with manual focus override
- Image Stabilization: No built-in optical image stabilization
- Filter Compatibility: Requires specialized filter holder system
- Weather-Sealing: Dust and moisture resistant
- Size: Approximately 3.5 x 5.0 inches (89 x 126 mm)
- Weight: Approximately 1.4 lbs (650g)
- Lens Coatings: Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat for reduced ghosting, flare, and chromatic aberrations.
It is safe to say that the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens delivers very remarkable performance. It has an outstanding optical architecture, which includes four ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements, which efficiently decrease chromatic aberrations and provide good resolution and contrast across the entirety of the zoom range.
Even in backlit settings, the lens is able to create photos that are sharp and full of life thanks to Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat technologies, which work together to reduce flare and ghosting. The high-speed aperture of f/2.8 enables excellent performance in low light as well as lovely bokeh while yet preserving the crispness and clarity in the regions that are focused on.
The autofocus mechanism of the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is highly cutting-edge. In order to provide quick, accurate, and noiseless autofocus performance, the lens makes use of a multi-focusing system in conjunction with several AF drive units.
A stepping motor, also known as an STM, is included inside the lens, and it allows for extremely smooth and accurate focusing not just for still photographs but also for video capture. In addition, the lens has control rings that can be customized, allowing photographers to assign multiple tasks to them. These functions may include manual focus, aperture adjustment, or exposure correction, all of which contribute to an improved shooting experience and more versatility.
Vibration Reduction (VR) technology is incorporated into the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens so that it can counteract the effects of camera shake. This function is beneficial when shooting handheld in low-light circumstances or while taking movies since it allows for more control over the exposure.
Because the VR system can correct undesirable camera motions, the end result is footage that is smoother and pictures that are crisper. It has an effective image stabilization of up to 4.5 stops, which enables photographers to shoot at slower shutter speeds without sacrificing the quality of their images.
The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is built with sturdy components, which ensures its longevity and dependability even under demanding shooting conditions. Because the lens barrel is weather-sealed, it provides protection against dust and moisture and is thus suited for use in the great outdoors and in settings with extreme weather.
For photographers who rely on their equipment in challenging environments, the lens’s overall build quality instills a sense of trust and security in them.
Handling and Ergonomics
The lens’s design pays close attention to ergonomics and the handling experience for the user. It has zoom and focus rings that are smooth to the touch and comfortable to use, which makes it possible to make exact changes when shooting. In addition, the lens comes with a programmable control ring that the photographer may use to regulate a variety of different features according to their own tastes.
Because the physical controls are conveniently located and easy to use, the experience of shooting with the camera as a whole is improved, and it is now much more straightforward for photographers to access the functions and settings that are most important to them.
The Vibration Reduction (VR) technology that is integrated into the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens offers exceptional picture stabilization. This technology compensates for camera shake and enables photographers to take photos that are crisper, particularly in low-light settings.
Because of the VR system’s ability to effectively eliminate the danger of blurriness produced by hand motions, the overall image quality is significantly enhanced. When photographing at longer lens lengths or utilizing slower shutter speeds, this function comes in quite handy.
The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens provides a fantastic shooting experience because of its flexible focal range and wide maximum aperture. The lens gives photographers the ability to take amazing wide-angle photographs that are rich in detail and crystal clear. The large gap makes it possible to photograph in low light and gives you the power to control how much of the scene is in focus when you do so.
While the user-customizable control rings increase the photographer’s control and creativity, the autofocus mechanism operates wonderfully, providing focusing that is both quick and accurate. The overall performance of the lens, combined with its easy-to-use design, makes it a joy to employ in a wide variety of photographic contexts, from astrophotography to landscape and architectural photography.
Because of its cutting-edge optical structure and coatings, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is capable of producing images of exceptionally high quality. Across the whole zoom range, the lens maintains its ability to generate ideas that are crisp, detailed, and exhibit minimal distortion. Chromatic aberrations are successfully reduced because of the incorporation of Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass components, which also ensures that color reproduction is correct and that there is a high level of contrast.
Even under challenging lighting circumstances, the pictures produced by the Nano Crystal Coat and the ARNEO Coat have excellent clarity and contrast thanks to the effective reduction of flare and ghosting caused by these coatings. The lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.8, which not only enables it to produce excellent bokeh but also enables it to capture outstanding photographs even in low-light conditions.
Because it is compatible with the Nikon Z teleconverters, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens gives photographers the ability to expand their reach and increase their shooting options. When used with teleconverters, the lens has the capability of successfully increasing the focal length while preserving the image quality to a very high standard.
This compatibility broadens the lens’s applicability and enables photographers to attain more magnification and reach, making it an invaluable tool for photographers who want additional telephoto capabilities.
Comparison with Competitors
When compared to other lenses in its class, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens stands out because of its remarkable picture quality, wide focus range, and high-quality construction. It stands out from other wide-angle zoom lenses in its category because of its superior optical performance, which includes the ability to reduce aberrations and produce images with a high degree of sharpness.
Its fast aperture of f/2.8 offers it an advantage in low-light circumstances, enabling photographers to get stunning photos even when the lighting is tricky. The lens’s compatibility with Nikon Z teleconverters further increases its versatility by providing photographers with the option to lengthen the focal length whenever it is necessary to do so.
|Mount Type||Nikon Z Mount|
|Focal Length Range||14 – 24mm|
|Maximum Angle of View (DX-format)||90°|
|Minimum Angle of View (DX-format)||61°|
|Maximum Angle of View (FX-format)||114°|
|Minimum Angle of View (FX-format)||84°|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||0.13x|
|Rounded Diaphragm Opening||Yes|
|Nano Crystal Coat||Yes|
|ED Glass Elements||4|
|Super Integrated Coating||Yes|
|AF Actuator||STM (stepping motor)|
|Minimum Focus Distance||0.92 ft. (0.28m) from focal plane at all zoom positions|
|Focus Mode||Autofocus, Manual|
|Accepts Filter Type||Front: screw-in, Rear: slot for gel filters|
|Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)||3.5 in. (88.5 mm) x 5.0 in. (124.5 mm)|
|Approx. Weight||23.0 oz. (650 g)|
Pros and Cons
- Outstanding Image Quality The lens produces exceptional image quality across the whole zoom range, maintaining its sharpness, clarity, and level of detail during the entire time. As a result of its exceptional corner-to-corner clarity, it is ideally suited for the shooting of architectural and landscape subjects.
- Wide Aperture: This lens has a constant aperture of f/2.8, which provides for exceptional performance in low-light conditions as well as control over the narrow depth of field. It performs exceptionally well while photographing dark or interior settings without degrading the image quality.
- Construction That Is Weather-Sealed The lens features weather-sealed construction, which renders it resistant to dust and moisture. This attribute makes it more durable and enables you to shoot even when the weather is brutal.
- Autofocus That Is Practically Silent The autofocus technology of the lens is incredibly quick and accurate, and it also produces very little audible noise. Because of this, it is appropriate for use in a variety of shooting circumstances, including events that need silent operation and situations involving animals.
- Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat are examples of advanced lens coatings that reduce the appearance of ghosting and flare. As a consequence, contrast and color accuracy are enhanced. Even when working in conditions with intense light sources, the image quality may be maintained with its support.
- Design That Is Both Compact and Lightweight In spite of the fact that it is a highly wide-angle zoom lens, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S has a design that is incredibly compact and lightweight when compared to lenses designed for DSLR cameras. During lengthy photographic sessions, this makes it much simpler to operate and transport the equipment.
- Expensive: The lens comes at a premium price, which may make it more difficult for photographers who are watching their spending to get their hands on it. However, for professionals or hobbyists who place a high priority on image quality, the cost is justifiable due to the high-quality design and performance of the camera.
- Because the lens has a bulbous front element, you are unable to connect typical screw-on filters to it simply. This is because these filters require a threaded mount. You will be required to make use of a specialist filter holder system, which will incur additional costs on your part.
- No Optical Image Stabilization: Unlike some other lenses on the market, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S does not come equipped with any optical image stabilization. In low-light settings, the lens may benefit from more stabilization, despite the fact that it is well-suited for shooting handheld when the lighting conditions are adequate.
- Because of the lens’s significant front element and its particular construction, it does not have as many filter alternatives as lenses that use a standard filter thread. This is because of the lens’s significant front element. Photographers who rely significantly on the use of filters for the artistic effects or protection they provide sometimes find this to be a disadvantage.
- Lack of Flexibility in Focal Length: Because it is a fixed ultra-wide zoom lens, the focal length range that it gives is only 14-24mm. This range may not provide the same level of adaptability as zoom lenses that have a longer effective focal length range, despite the fact that it is great for capturing large scenes.
Price and Availability
The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens has a premium price point, which is reflective of the fact that it has features and quality that are suitable for professional use.
It is available for purchase at authorized Nikon dealers as well as on several internet platforms. It is best to check with local merchants to see whether they have any lenses in stock because the lens’s availability might change based on the location and the level of demand.
The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is a remarkable piece of optical equipment that was developed to fulfill the requirements of both professional photographers and photography lovers who place a premium on picture quality and adaptability. The visual architecture, focusing mechanism, and picture stabilization are just a few of the aspects that contribute to its genuinely remarkable performance.
The lens is capable of producing photographs that are stunningly crisp and have a small amount of distortion. Additionally, the lens has a wide-angle focal range, which enables creative composition options. The Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens offers incredible value for photographers who are looking for top-notch picture quality and a dependable instrument for their creative activities. Despite the fact that it may have premium pricing and be somewhat thicker than other alternatives, this lens is an excellent choice for photographers.
Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S FAQs
Q. Is the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens compatible with Nikon DSLR cameras?
A. No, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is specifically designed for Nikon’s Z-mount mirrorless cameras and is not compatible with Nikon DSLR cameras.
Q. Can I attach traditional screw-on filters directly to the lens?
A. No, due to its specialized design with a bulbous front element, the lens does not have a traditional filter thread. Instead, you would need to use a technical filter holder system or gel filters.
Q. Does the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens have built-in image stabilization?
A. No, the lens does not have built-in optical image stabilization. However, some Nikon Z camera bodies have in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which can provide stabilization when used with this lens.
Q. Is the lens weather-sealed?
A. Yes, the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens features weather-sealed construction, making it resistant to dust and moisture. This allows you to shoot in challenging weather conditions without compromising performance.
Q. What is the minimum focusing distance of the lens?
A. The minimum focusing distance of the Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is approximately 0.92 ft. (0.28m) from the focal plane at all zoom positions. This allows you to get close to your subjects for creative perspectives.